Bad eye and annoying vet secretary

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Mar 6, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Arg, I am so frustrated right now.

I noticed one of Xcell's kids was holding his eye closed the other day. Couldn't see anything wrong with it so i flushed it out as best I could with normal saline and left it alone for the rest of the day. After Ghost kidded I looked at it again with my mom and his eye lids were looking swollen. Only thing I had on me at the time was LA-200 and I didn't want what ever infection was in his eye to get worse so I put a drop of that in it and let him be.

This morning after I got all the morning chores (well it turned out being afternoon chores) done I looked at his eye again. Now he was holding it open and it looked like the swelling had gone down but there was, and still is, a small opaque area on his eye. So he scratched it after all. So now I know I am out of my league on this and call the vet. Well the secretary answers and I tell her what I did. She just about ripped my flipping head off for trying to treat my own animal. Was so rude to me she actually made me cry. Wasn't too hard to do on just a few hours sleep and two very stressful days.

So I called Stacey and another friend to see what they would do and calm down. After that I called my vet again because they had tried to call me but didn't leave a message. So when I said,"I think you guys tried to call me." The lady flew off at me and again and was like, "You know I tried to call you."

She was all pissy that the vet didn't really care I had tried to treat the goat myself. The vet even told her to give me some antibiotic ointment that would be better suited for his eye, but to call back if it got any worse.

Just had to get that off my chest. I sure wish this secretary would get fired but she's been there forever.

The funniest part was the antibiotic stuff only cost $6! Cheapest thing I have ever gotten from my vet.

So here is his eye tonight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Are you kidding me?!?! That is so flipping rude!!! I would have been so angry at that secretary. You did exactly what you should have so don't feel bad. :hug: That lady needs to be fired, that is just unreal that she got so mad at you as to make you cry!! OMG!!! Where is the let me at er' smiley?? :ROFL:

Anywho, I am so sorry you had to go through that, some people are disgusting! My jaw literally dropped when I was reading your post. :angry: On a happier note...i'm glad to hear the little baby is doing alright.

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would be angry to! I think you are doing what you can do and that the baby should be fine!

4. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Your little goat is just precious!

5. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    You're right to get it off your chest. Definitely horrible that she made you cry.

It was wrong of her to pass judgement against you for treating it. She should have been more professional,and simply passed all the information you were giving her, on to the vet.

Here's your :hug: and :thumb: to the vet for helping with the ointment. *whispers* Maybe the secretary's supper burned tonight as punishment for treating you wrong. I know it's mean-me bad. :wink:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry you were treated so rudely and badly... :(
    That is not right at all....:hug:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :veryangry: Now that would really set me off in a tyrade!

His eye sould heal just fine, and with the ointment it will heal quicker and he should have no problems with his sight.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh boy she acted like that after the vet didnt seem to care! :angry: :veryangry:

Guys you should have heard me on the phone with Ashely I was so angry that she was treated that way that my dad asked me later "who were you yelling at" :shades: oops But I was stinking fired up at the audacity of the secretary and the mean things she said. No one should be treated like that, I dont care who you are!

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh forgot to add - his eye looks to be a little puffy but not bad looking otherwise. Keep up the good work :thumb:

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    The vet should be told she's verbally abusing patients on the phone. I would want to know if it was my practice. My vet was happy to show me how to do alot of stuff myself, she said most vets prefer us to do our routine vacinations, etc. anyway. That way they aren't out giving shots when someone has a real life and death emergency. How's you baby? :hug:

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would definately be talking to the vet in regard to how this lady treated you.

I worked in vet med for over 8 years - you do not - under any circumstances - treat a client like that.

I know that we would get a little irritated with dog and cat owners trying to treat themselves when it was out of their league, but livestock is a whole different issue.

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Why is this a different issue? Animals are animals are animals. It should not make a difference what species. I realize that dogs, cats, and horses are big business for vets but it still should not make a difference.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just wanted to let you know his eye is healing up nicely so far. The little opaque area is getting smaller and the swelling is going down.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So glad to hear that he is better!

crocee - sorry I didn't see this before - was a bit busy at work and with homework after being so sick. Livestock is looked at differently then domesticated pets, such as cats and dogs. Don't ask me why, as I personally feel the same, but that is because I am skilled in both. But livestock, is thought of as a food source and it is acceptable to do things yourself to save money as you don't put alot of money into your food. You just do enough to get by till butcher time. Where dogs and cats are your pets and you want them around for years and years.

I would be one that would pay hundreds (and I have) for my dogs, but I look at cost effectiveness with my livestock.

15. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I know that in my county, there are NO vets that treat livestock. If you have an emergency, you are on your own - unless you are lucky (and I do mean L-U-C-K-Y) enough to get a vet from a neighboring county on the phone. Even then - good luck getting them to come out. Dogs and cats seem to take priority over livestock around here.

I worked in a vet's office for many years also - and we would have been repremanded for talking to a client that way...talk to your vet and tell them what happened. After all - the receptionist is the first impression and most vet's want to know what kind of a first impression is being made!

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad to hear the eye is healing but ifthat happens again, try tea bags on the eye. Wet tea bags held to the eye for 15 minutes at least two times a day and then put the ointment in it. I have had two does with what looks to be the same thing and they were just fine after a few days. I think I did it for a week.

I am sorry that you were treated like that. I would sure tell the vet that. They might not know at all and they need to know if the staff is going to run customers off.

I am very thankful for my vet and their staff. They are glad I treat my goats and are willing to do whatever over the phone they can before I have to bring them in, only because they are SO busy they do not want to lose a animals because they can't get to them.

:hug: :hug: . Hope you are feeling better.

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well he has healed up very well. Now I can only see a little tiny dot on his eye and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. He is such a sweetie! He climbs all over me after I put the stuff in his eye and he tries to find a place to suckle on my face. lol Oh why do I get soooo attached?!? :worried:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe!! But he will make someone a very nice pet and you will know you did your very best for him :greengrin: