Bad eye famacha scores

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Sep 21, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I was in pen this evening and thought I would check some famacha scores. After the first two failed with a 3 minus, I checked 5 more. Only two of the 5, I would pass. They’d are pregnant and ETA is end of November thru December this year. I have never had red cell to do much for my goats although I have given it when it was called for. I will try this week to get some fecals but they appear to be fine, popping pellets and eating well. Would thiamin be of any value at this point? Their feed consists daily, morning and evening of alfalfa pellets and oats, half and half mix with a little BOSS added morning and evening. They get hay daily and minerals free choice. There is plenty grass in pasture but that on other side of fence looks better to them. Can I give selelium injection while pregnant.? I want the babies to be selium efficient when born. Advice please.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you sure you had proper light? You can give copper and selenium to pregnant goats. Usually done about a month before kidding.

3. Tom Colvin

Tom Colvin Member

Jun 10, 2018
    It was late evening but one was creamy white. I have tried to follow everything to the letter with feed and minerals and haven’t had much worm problems this year or maybe I haven’t noticed any thing alarming. I have selium in the form of Bose’ . How much should I give them? I’ll wait on the selium until November this year.

4. ksalvagno

BoSe is 1cc per 40 lbs.

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    How do I tell if they really need the Bose’?

6. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I'll write what everyone will say: Please post some pictures! Both inner eyelids and side shots...

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Ok I’ll try and get some pictures when I come in from work today.

alwaystj9 likes this.
  8. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Best I could do this morning. Hope you can tell something from these pics. Showing goat first , then eye next
    IMG_3683.jpg IMG_3686.jpg IMG_3697.jpg IMG_3698.jpg IMG_3691.jpg IMG_3689.jpg IMG_3690.jpg IMG_3704.jpg IMG_3696.jpg ]

Attached Files:

9. ksalvagno

I automatically give BoSe shot a month prior to kidding.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A fecal is wise right away for worms and cocci.

11. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Screenshot_2020-09-22_15-21-17.png
    It might help to use this method rather than just pulling their eyelids down

The FAMACHA pics are blurry but none of them look white

I agree fecals are a good idea

friesian49 likes this.
  12. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    All those FAMACHA are pretty good, except the blurry one. I would give them 2's but definitely no 3's that saw. Screenshot_20200922-165355_DuckDuckGo.jpg

13. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    The cell phone always looks better to me than what I see my self. I never see the number one or two scores on my goats with my eyes. Maybe I’m too hard on the judging the score.?

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  14. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Better safe than sorry but then again, I am pretty conservative when it comes to animal health.

15. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I'm with everyone above. Only the 4th blurry picture looks like a borderline treatment; depending on your weather coming up I may treat or I may just monitor right now. Everyone else looks great.

I used to get really crazy about the FAMACHA score until I took the FAMACHA class lead by the VT extension professors. Even the ones specializing in goats and sheep really don't get geeked up about anything that isn't a distinct 4-5. Part of the test was to take a video of you doing the FAMACHA scoring; In the email I wrote a funny little note about how I planned on deworming her soon, and the professor actually wrote back and said her FAMACHA looks great and didn't think it warranted worming at this time.

Just some food for thought.

toth boer goats likes this.
  16. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Is this class on line and still available? Just thinking.

17. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    toth boer goats likes this.
  18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The FAMACHA looks okay!

Watch URI’s why and how to do FAMACHA scoring video on YouTube. Eyelids don’t really get as dark as the charts say.

Do run fecals on all!!