The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in pen this evening and thought I would check some famacha scores. After the first two failed with a 3 minus, I checked 5 more. Only two of the 5, I would pass. They’d are pregnant and ETA is end of November thru December this year. I have never had red cell to do much for my goats although I have given it when it was called for. I will try this week to get some fecals but they appear to be fine, popping pellets and eating well. Would thiamin be of any value at this point? Their feed consists daily, morning and evening of alfalfa pellets and oats, half and half mix with a little BOSS added morning and evening. They get hay daily and minerals free choice. There is plenty grass in pasture but that on other side of fence looks better to them. Can I give selelium injection while pregnant.? I want the babies to be selium efficient when born. Advice please.

·
Super Moderator
59,221 Posts
Are you sure you had proper light? You can give copper and selenium to pregnant goats. Usually done about a month before kidding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you sure you had proper light? You can give copper and selenium to pregnant goats. Usually done about a month before kidding.
It was late evening but one was creamy white. I have tried to follow everything to the letter with feed and minerals and haven't had much worm problems this year or maybe I haven't noticed any thing alarming. I have selium in the form of Bose' . How much should I give them? I'll wait on the selium until November this year.

·
TKC Farms
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll write what everyone will say: Please post some pictures! Both inner eyelids and side shots...
Ok I'll try and get some pictures when I come in from work today.

Reactions: alwaystj9

·
TKC Farms
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I'll try and get some pictures when I come in from work today.
Best I could do this morning. Hope you can tell something from these pics. Showing goat first , then eye next
IMG_3683.jpg
IMG_3686.jpg
IMG_3697.jpg
IMG_3698.jpg
IMG_3691.jpg
IMG_3689.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_3690.jpg
IMG_3704.jpg
IMG_3696.jpg
]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Screenshot_2020-09-22_15-21-17.png

It might help to use this method rather than just pulling their eyelids down

The FAMACHA pics are blurry but none of them look white

I agree fecals are a good idea

Reactions: friesian49

·
TKC Farms
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cell phone always looks better to me than what I see my self. I never see the number one or two scores on my goats with my eyes. Maybe I’m too hard on the judging the score.?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm with everyone above. Only the 4th blurry picture looks like a borderline treatment; depending on your weather coming up I may treat or I may just monitor right now. Everyone else looks great.

I used to get really crazy about the FAMACHA score until I took the FAMACHA class lead by the VT extension professors. Even the ones specializing in goats and sheep really don't get geeked up about anything that isn't a distinct 4-5. Part of the test was to take a video of you doing the FAMACHA scoring; In the email I wrote a funny little note about how I planned on deworming her soon, and the professor actually wrote back and said her FAMACHA looks great and didn't think it warranted worming at this time.

Just some food for thought.

·
TKC Farms
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm with everyone above. Only the 4th blurry picture looks like a borderline treatment; depending on your weather coming up I may treat or I may just monitor right now. Everyone else looks great.

I used to get really crazy about the FAMACHA score until I took the FAMACHA class lead by the VT extension professors. Even the ones specializing in goats and sheep really don't get geeked up about anything that isn't a distinct 4-5. Part of the test was to take a video of you doing the FAMACHA scoring; In the email I wrote a funny little note about how I planned on deworming her soon, and the professor actually wrote back and said her FAMACHA looks great and didn't think it warranted worming at this time.

Just some food for thought.
Is this class on line and still available? Just thinking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts