Bad goat mommy! Pic added!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Mar 12, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I did the rottenest thing tonight to Binkys doelings. I decided that at 6 weeks old it was time to separate them from their mommy at night so I can milk her in the morning. They are eating grain as well as hay and slurping from a bucket so it was the inevitable! So I will have to get some pics of her 12 hour udder before I empty it...hope she can make me happy! The girls are with Angel and her doeling Lily as well as Bootsie and her 3 boys so they aren't lonely....I just feel like such a meanie!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Bad goat mommy!

I bet they are a little ticked off! lol I would be separating mine soon but since Xcell has had so many meds the past week I need to wait a while to milk her. The kids got lucky. :wink:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The wierdest thing though...Binky didn't even cry for them, though they were calling her! It was my "nervous" mommy Tilly that was crying for them and she has 3 of her own!

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

You big meanie! Just kidding (pardon the pun :lol:) People need milk too! And they have two step mommies to take care of them.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I am definately wanting fresh milk!! I used up what I had frozen in January! I figure that if I milk her at 4:30 am before work and let her with the kids til 9pm then I should keep her production up...I hope! Then once they go to their new home I can milk every 12 hours...once again...I HOPE!

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

That's good about Binky- I don't know why but I always feel sorrier for the Mom- the kids will soon find other comforts but nothing makes it up to a MOm.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

enjoytheride I tend to think that way too.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

This is the first kidding with me having Binky as a mom too. She was actually very content in the stall next to Tilly, no crying for her babies at all...babies were fine after an hour last nite and when I went to milk her this morning she was very happy to see me! It was a bit difficult as she was very tight but after 10 hours she gave me a little over a pint. I'm surprised it wasn't more...anyone have any input on this?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she could have been withholding milk from you because she wanted to feed her kids.

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA

Holly did that too, got a little close to empty then "shut off the taps" so to speak.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Binky is a first freshener I take it? I've found that first fresheners usually have a harder time 'letting' milk down.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

This was Bink's 2nd freshening, I'm pretty sure she was dried off after her first and her kids froze. She is definately getting easier also, as her teats aren't very big, but big enough to handle. I will assume for now that she's holding out on me because if I take a minute or 2 after I finish and she's still on the stand, I can still get more out of her the stinker!

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, after one of her doelings leaves next weekend I will still keep the other separate from her til after 4pm. I hadn't been pushing the issue but now these girls are 8 weeks old and are eating and drinking well enough on their own that I am more comfortable separating them. I left them with Bootsie, Angel and their kids and put Binky up last nite around 9 and milked this morning at 4:30...got a pint. Put her back in the stall as I worked til 3 today and milked again at 4 she stood very nicely except when I wanted to take this pic! I had to put a bucket beside her because she wanted to hug the wall! My hand got her up a bit as she wanted to squat also! Milked out 2 and 3/4 cup so almost 3 pints and she wouldn't let her doelings under her AT ALL!!
    Her teat placement is better than the day she delivered...at least I think they are.lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for checking her out!

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Her teats are definatly not as forward now. It looks pretty darn nice Liz!

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you MCF! Binky will appreciate that! Also, does the amount shes giving me sound normal for an 8 week fresh ND?

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Is that 2 3/4 cups a milking or a day?

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That would be per milking...at 4 am and 4pm.

18. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I would say it is pretty good. I have a FF that is giving about 3 1/2 cups a day. I think she will get up to 4 cups soon though. Binky needs to get used to being milked and will probably let down more milk with time.

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She does seem to be getting more comfortable, even though she gets ants in her pants just before I finish...starts to dance so I give her a bit of grain and she lets me strip her out. It's funny how my girls are used to routine...Bootsie is still nursing her 3 boys but insists on getting on the stand when Binky is done.