Bad hooves! Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jarrod & Jody, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I have a Nubian nanny that we have worked with her hooves many times and don’t know what else to do! Trimmed , cleaned out, everything I can think todo besides take her to the vet, the end of winter and begianing of spring has been extremely wet ( southeast Oklahoma,leflore county) and we have done everything we know todo to try and stop the water and dry it up the best we can, there is proud fleash, and pretty sure hoove rot. Can any one help with what todo? Or should I just take her to the vet?

Iluvlilly! and bushes1172 like this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Well I won't say no to getting a vet involved! It's hard for us on the forum to know what "bad hooves" really means, especially without photos. Make sure she is separated from any other goats. A vet can help you treat immediately for hoof rot and whatever else is going on. Some treatment options for hoof rot are a copper sulfate foot bath, along with an oil blend of garlic, tea tree, lavender, and cinnamon oil. Base of olive oil. (do not use on pregnant goats) Applied to the hoof after it gets thoroughly cleaned with a disinfectant solution. So my suggestion is to get her taken care of immediately, and then come back here so we can all talk to you on how to prevent this. I believe minerals play a great role in hoof health. Does she have loose minerals available? Any rough coat, hair loss, or other common mineral deficiency symptoms?

bushes1172 and mariarose like this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Unless the veterinarian has a lot of hoof trimming experience they may not the best use of your money. Goat farriers are popping up left and right in my area and many do wonderful work and have a lot of trimming and corrective experience and may be a better bet for you

Have you applied LA 200 directly to the infected area between the toes?

Photographs would really help us help you.

4. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I have not we have just been trimming and cleaning and iodine. My dad was a horse farrier for years. I know there different but some what the same with hooves. I’m just wondering, after trimming and using the LA 200 should we wrap the hooves? It’s only the front two one is worse then the other.

bushes1172 likes this.
  5. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    It says the LA 200 is an injectable.. when you say put directly on the infection area , dose that mean draw it up in the Syringe and squirt it on the hoof? Dose it need wrapped ?

bushes1172 likes this.
  6. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Yes to the minierals, no to the rough coat , hair loss. My dad said it’s the massive rain season we have been having here.

bushes1172 likes this.
  7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Can you get pictures of her hooves to show us?
    It's hard to recommend treatment options without knowing what it looks like.

But I will mention this one. Dr Naylors Hoof and Heel. This stuff works really well. We cut an empty, clean water bottle in half, put some Dr Naylors in the bottom half, put the goats foot in it and duct tape it to the foot and leave for about 15 minutes. We do this daily. Usually 1-2 days we see big improvement. We thankfully, don't have to do this often. But usually have issues in winter with heavy bred boer does and very wet ground. This really worked wonders.

8. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Yes, swift on good. I like to use Dr. Taylor's Hoof and Heel, also.

Edit: swift = squirt, according to auto-correct.lol

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Yes, squirt the LA-200 on the cleaned hooves and between the toes.

10. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh if your dad was a farrier then don't spend your money on a veterinarian! (sorry veterinarians...)

Correct, the LA-200 is an injectable, but in the case of hoof scald infection in the skin between the toes where you are seeing proud flesh I assume, topical application of LA-200 works wonders. I know, it sounds crazy.

I don't recommend wrapping because the number one enemy of hoof scald and hoof rot is moisture and bandages trap moisture.

Squirt like 2-3 cc of LA-200 between the toes once a day for 3 days and see if that does the trick. If she is on dry bedding, it should work for you.

Dr. Naylors is also really awesome.

11. Island Milker

Island Milker Active Member

Dec 11, 2018
    vancouver island
    this sounds much better than what i have been doing holding a jug and trying to keep there foot in it. splashing everywhere.

bushes1172 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I suppose it should also be mentioned that if only this one doe is having issues with horrific hoof rot in the rainy season then you may not want to keep those genetics around your farm...

bushes1172 and Dwarf Dad like this.
  13. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    I will support and can attest to using this to help quickly turn around hoof rot and hoof scald. We'd been struggling with hoof scald in some of our goats and rot in some goats I got from someone else to sell. We were trimming, cleaning, using Dr. Nailors and Coppertox then taping the hooves to help keep clean. Worked painfully slow. One application of the LA-200 knocked the socks off the hoof rot! I'm still astounded at how quickly it worked. The ones that were really bad it still turned it around fast and then the second dose really knocked it out about 2 weeks later. You won't be sorry if you try this. Even with all the wet as we've experienced the same thing here in GA, you will still be amazed. I promise. Give it a try!

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

You can soak the hoof in iodine /water as well, before putting on the LA200.

TCOLVIN and bushes1172 like this.
  15. bushes1172

bushes1172 Member

Aug 8, 2019
    NY
    Thanks so much!! That is a good idea as well.

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    You actually mean putting la 200 on the hoof surface or like give them a shot?

18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    On the hoof.

toth boer goats and TCOLVIN like this.
  19. bushes1172

bushes1172 Member

Aug 8, 2019
    NY
    Thanks so much for the information. You all been so helpful..