The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I love showing boer goats
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been the kidding season from hell for me this year.
We cut back out number this past spring, so we only bred 3 does.
Doe #1 kidded about 2 weeks ago. She had a 6 lbs buck kid and a tiny tiny 3 lbs doe kid. Doe looked premature. She lived about 24 hrs before she died. At about 18 hrs old she started spasming. We thought maybe there was something wrong with her internally.
Her bother is doing fanatics.

Doe #2 kidded 4/4. She kidded 7 days early, she was not due until the 11th. Hand bred, breeding date was exact. It was a rough delivery, one was breach. It took her over 30 hrs to pass placenta. One kid was born with very weak legs. Could not stand. Other 2 kids were born very healthy and moving just fine.
Pulled the weak kid and left the other two with dam. Next day found one of the kids dead. He was fine that morning, dead mid afternoon. No signs of why he died. Pulled the doe just in case they weren’t nursing and started her on bottle. Both kids are doing well, weak kid is able to stand for short amounts of time.

Doe #3 kidded 4/6. Huge buck and doe kid. Easy labor, kids were up and nursing within minutes. Yesterday we noticed buck kid was weak. Gave him selenium gel. Tried string feeing him. By 1 am he was dead.
Started doe kid on bottle just in case they weren’t getting enough. She was doing fantastic. At 6:30 am she drunk a full 5 Oz and was running around playing. 12 Pm noticed she was weak, brought her inside and tried syringing her. By 2 Pm she was dead. She started having slight seizures before passing.

What the heck is going on?
Any thoughts?
My first thought is I am battling selenium deficiency. I found a map with each county’s selenium level. My county has not been tested, but the county below me is showing very low levels <0.30.
I have tried calling several vets. It they are telling me that my county is not selenium deficient and refuse to to give prescription for BoSe.

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, none of the does are related. All were bred to the same buck except the one that kidded last. She was bred to #2’s buck kid from last year by mistake.

We studded out buck out this year. 10 outside does bred to him. Not # 1 has had kidding problems.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I should add, none of the does are related. All were bred to the same buck except the one that kidded last. She was bred to #2's buck kid from last year by mistake.

We studded out buck out this year. 10 outside does bred to him. Not # 1 has had kidding problems.
What kimd of minerals do you have available and how do you put it out? Are you ising a mew hay supplier?

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kimd of minerals do you have available and how do you put it out? Are you ising a mew hay supplier?
Mana pro, loose minerals.
It's all I can find.
It is a new hay supplier, but hay looks fine and all of our other goats are doing fine on it.
Perinnial peanut hay.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It doesn’t matter as much what the mineral amounts in your specific area are, as much as what they are where your hay is grown.
Definitely get a necropsy.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Defiantly have the necropsy done. They should be able to find what is going on. Even though the kid is so young it still died of something and should still have a sign in it to show what it was. If they can’t find what was going on (it happens) you will be able to eliminate a lot of things and take a lot of guessing out of what could be fixed to prevent this. That’s what o had to do one year. They couldn’t find anything but the liver biopsy they tested for everything but selenium. So that’s what I was going with and i ended up talking to another person who used a different lab and the same issue going on and hers was selenium deficiency.
I am really sorry you had such a terrible kidding season :(

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Planning on getting necropsy done. Last kid that died we took the the vet last night and he is sending off.

I should add that I finally found the soil sample for my county and it states that selenium level is below .2 PPM

·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Planning on getting necropsy done. Last kid that died we took the the vet last night and he is sending off.

I should add that I finally found the soil sample for my county and it states that selenium level is below .2 PPM

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Mana pro, loose minerals.
It's all I can find.
It is a new hay supplier, but hay looks fine and all of our other goats are doing fine on it.
Perinnial peanut hay.
Look at cattle mineral. :). Some cattle mineral has more good stuff than goat mineral. And get loose in that as well. This may not have anything to do with the yuck but may help your goats as well. I am sorry you lost so much!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I don't put much (any) stock in the value of soils mapping when it comes to goats and mineral deficiencies. Mostly because the majority of goats owners don't grow their own hays and grains so it doesn't matter what the soil on their farm contains.
But also this just really doesn't sound like typical selenium deficiency. I really hope the necropsy reveals a clear answer.

·
14,760 Posts
Oh Amanda, I am just seeing this and I am so sorry! I saw on Facebook where you had lost the little tiny doe, and had the preemie triplets, but didn't realize you were having so many issues with losing your babies. My heart breaks for you. Are the remaining kids doing okay?
When will you get the necropsy results back?
I sure hope you get answers quickly.

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
Very sorry for your losses. I hope the necropsy shows cause.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts