The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alpaca land
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,so a couple of people know that I have a mini Nubian doe and I was just wondering if there is a harmful way to milk her and if I was doing it.so heres how I milk,as she gets lower and lower in milk I move up the bag until the hard milk to get out is left and I' have my hands half way up her bag to squeeze the last out and so is that bad? Like that couldn't cause mastitis could it?:confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
While I don't believe that would cause mastitis, you could damage her udder. Your hands should stay on the teats, never move up onto squeezing her actual udder. When it seems you've milked everything out, gently massage her udder and bump it with the palm of your hand the way a kid would to get her to let down the rest of her milk, but be gentle with it.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Never apply pressure above the teat. the teats can take the pressure of squeezing but the tissue in the udder cant. You can actually do alot of damage and "blow out" a teat (I know sounds ridiculous), sending the tissue of the udder down into the teat. I have seen first hand and it more or less destroys the milk production on the doe and deforms the teat badly.
Once you milk a doe out or as you are milking, you can smack the back side and the under neither of the udder to make it let down more/the rest of the milk. When you see kids smacking the udder before they start to suck, this is what they are doing.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
When I milk by hand as the doe gets towards the end of what she has in her udder I will bump her udder, I just cup my hand around her teat and hit her udder just like the kid would and just like TDG was explaining. I do it so much it's pretty much second nature, I can sit there milking the doe and be talking to someone and just automatically bump her udder when I'm not getting a full stream. lol When they get close to being done, if you bump the udder a few times and wait a minute they will usually let the rest of the milk down and you can milk it right out.

·
2,203 Posts
I personally do not bump. I instead massage the milk down gently. I caress her bag, usually with udder balm or coconut oil towards the end to help finish her out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'll sometimes pick up an udder in a pinch hold from the upper back and kind of hold it up to let that last bit fall into the teat, but never squeeze the bag . I also do da bump thang. Many experienced does will hold a bit back, I think it's instinctual so there's always something left for babies, whether they're nursing or not. Beats me how they do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts