The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a one day old baby buck who appears to have a bad neck and maybe a hinky front leg. We had to untangle him from his twin so he could be born, so maybe the trouble comes from his difficult birth. His neck bows down about like a normal baby's bows up and he can only lift his head almost even with his shoulders. Needless to say he isn't nursing so we're bottle feeding him, but he's eating OK and walking around. Any ideas how we can help the little guy?

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome RichV.
Give him a few days. Do you have BoSe or selenium gel for his leg condition?
Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Don't have a good picture showing his neck yet--I'll get one in the morning. Mainly we've been concentrating on getting him on his feet. What would other signs of selenium deficiency be (it's a front leg not a back leg if that matters)? We haven't had selenium trouble that I know of with our other goats and I worry about overdosing him.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
With him being tangled it may also just be a pulled muscle or a crick in his neck. I had one that I had to manipulate to be born and he had a tilt to his head and couldn't really rotate his neck left to right too much after birth. He never did straighten out but lived a happy little life.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
That is a strange position...looks to be a spinal disfigurement..due to being tangled..His back looks a bit bowed, could be the wayhe is standing..but might be part of the condition..This may not correct itself..if all else is well and he is drnking a bottle I would do a wait and see....I would give Selnium Vit E just incase.....

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
His spine looks off or is that swelling? Have you felt around his neck for a break or mispositioned vertebra?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
His spine looks off or is that swelling? Have you felt around his neck for a break or mispositioned vertebra?
Only a little feeling around, nothing obvious sticking out, it seems to be his spine curving the wrong direction. We thought he was a goner at first, but now that he's getting stronger probably we could investigate farther. Know any goat chiropractors?

Looks like we need to name him Quasimodo. His brother could be Zuchini because he's not a crookneck.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
If you can find an open minded human or equine chiropractor they may be willing to check him out.

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
Oh my......I had a lamb like that....except it was to the side. I tried splints, as well as lots more. It never got fixed. Poor thing was given away as a pet. Good luck!

·
Administrator
84,683 Posts
Maybe a vet can take an xray to see what is going on there and possibly brace it some how, to straighten, if it is anything like kids born with crooked legs and we brace them, give B0-se and they are fine in a short time. Kids just born have softer bones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts