Bad news and good news

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, Apr 23, 2008.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ok, so bad news first. I got an email from Alethea(Altrece LMs) this morning and she said that she has a goat with soremouth so the kids might not be able to ship :( She is going to have to wait and see what her vet says. Regardless, if I don't get to get the kids next year, I still get to reserve kids from Montana Sky and a doe for next year which is good :)

And the good news, my Oberhasli buck was born!!! I can't wait to get him. Little refresher, here is his dam, Top Ten in Protein and milk and appraised at VG88: http://www.haycreeks.com/Susan.html and here is his pat. granddam: http://www.haycreeks.com/Tart.html

I can't wait to get him, it will probably be in June. Any name ideas? It has to be an S name and here is what I've got so far:
    Sylvester
    Samuel
    Spencer

I'm so excited!! I still hope I can get the LaManchas this year though.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is good that your buckling is on the ground....I like Samuel for a name...Sam or Sammy for "call" name. The soremouth is too bad , I hope that all gets under control and you can still get them..healthy of course :p

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well good news again! The kids have not been directly exposed to sore mouth, and since I've had it before I decided to take a chance, they are coming Thursday or Friday!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!

And I got the pedigree done for my Ober buck(still thinking on names) its littered with National Champions, Top Tens and GCHs!!! http://www.sandylanedairygoats.com/oberbuck.htm I can't wait to get him either.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well back to bad news. My little doeling came down with soremouth :doh: She said its in her kid pens now, so I decided to wait until next year to get kids.

Oh well :sigh: Still have my ober guy to look forward too.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am so sorry Sarah!!! I have had my share of dissapointment with shipping kids as well.

At least you have next year to look forward to! :greengrin:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Boy, that really sucks! I'm sorry you'll have to wait to get your doeling...but your boy is still coming, so that's a good thing. :thumbup:

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Nope, the buck isn't coming either(unless you're talking about the ober buck) He'll probably get soremouth before he's ready to ship.

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Ok, somebody explain "sore mouth" please. Is it something they "get over"? Or do they have to be destroyed?

9. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    If I remember correctly, soremouth is a not fun, very contagious disease that goats do get over. And I think it can spread to humans.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's like warts....a virus that is very contagious and it can be spread to humans.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Sore mouth is a viral infection where they get bleeding, oozy wart like blisters on their mouths and even udders. We had it a couple years ago, the milkers had their udders covered in bloody oozy crusty sores and you could barely milk them, and the kids had it all over their mouths and faces. I would still have shipped them, but she said her vet wouldnt' let them ship with it.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hopefully with medication it will run it's course and you can still get her. :shrug:

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I would but by the time she gets over it it will be to hot to ship. So I'm just going to wait till next year, good things are always worth waiting for :D