Bad news. (long rant)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Crissa, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well, we finally had someone complain about my goats being in the backyard. What really ticked me off was that it's someone who has had livestock before and told us originally that they were perfectly fine with it and would actually love to have them here! None of the other neighbors CARE! Now they've complained that my goats STINK of all things! I don't even have a buck in rut yet! And we were already in the process of finding some land and now we have to do it sooner! We had gotten the permission from EVERYBODY including the police to keep them in the backyard for maybe a year! And now this insane little old lady next door that is always bragging about how she used to live on a farm and acting like she LOVES the goats and now I hear she went behind my back and complained to Town Hall! And she still comes over and says how cute the baby is! So now they're changing the town ordinances to say SPECIFICALLY that we cannot keep livestock in the backyard! But technically since they don't have that specifically in the town ordinances NOW wouldn't I be grandfathered in anyways? But we're still going to try and fine some land soon anyways. I don't think these people realize that these goats are what's keeping me going right now and now they're trying to take them away from me. But it's not even only me! They're doing to someone who's lived here for over a DECADE too! I feel like I'm being bullied by a town I loved when I first moved here. Luckily I already have so many people that are REALLY mad about it too backing me up and trying to help me out. And if we do get the land we're going to try and get something like a mobile home or something for me to stay in. And if we do this I'll also be looking for some guard animals that I can afford, fencing, luckily my mini sized barn is being built soon. I need to come up with money to do all this with so I'm going to have to find a better job that I will probably hate that pays better and quit the job I have now that I love. I'm pretty upset about all of this, but of course it was bound to happen sooner or later.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do understand why you are upset, but I have to say I we really surprised when you said they could be in your backyard in the city. That was a shock to me. Unfortanally it only takes one person to complain and it is all over.
    I do have to say, even if you buck in NOT in rut, they smell really bad to a lot of people and I can see how they live in the city and do not want to smell the livestock.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Crissa,

I am so sorry that this is happening to you and your animals. I wish you were closer so that I could put them with mine.

Sweetgoats - Where I work, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, it is in the city law books that you can have livestock in your yard as long as neighbors do not complain, so there are a few cities that do allow it :)

I am not sure about the "grandfathering" in to let your animals stay. It depends on how the land is zoned. If it is zoned to allow it and then they change the zoning area, that is a grandfather - but if it was something that was "just allowed" but not in the land zoning papers, then they could technically give you a written warning to get them moved by a certain date. I hate to say that - but that is how it works.

Keep us posted

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do understand how upset you are. It must be frustrating. But i am happy to hear that your family has plans to find a new place.

I may not live in the city or right in town but I have close neighbors which is the main reason I do not own a buck, the other being i personally can't stand the smell.

You never know how her complaint really started. She might have asked the town council how long they planned on letting you keep them. she may enjoy them but not the odor. It doesn't matter if you have lived on a farm before, you can easily forget all the smells and wonders of having animals. Older people are also more prone to changing their mind rather quickly.

here is a :hug: things will get better.

ONly compromise on your job IF you have to. You never know when something just right will come your way.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry to hear this, that just sucks. I hope you can figure it out. I don't understand people like that :veryangry:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    must be frustrating :sigh: , hope everything gets figured out and you and your goaties end up happy! :)

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That has to be just terrible for you....I'm so sorry that you've experienced the whole "knife in the back" situation, it's awful when the majority agrees and then it takes just one to turn the whole thing sour! :grouphug: Hope you can find property soon, and the income to do it. :pray:

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well my friend contacted an attorney and I AM grandfathered in since there was nothing pertaining to livestock before. So as long as I keep at least one I can keep them here! Can't wait to see how they take that. :wink: But in about a year we're hoping to be out in the country anyways so that I can further my livestock career.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    At least it is all figured out and you can keep your goaties at home - woo hoo!

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that aught to be interesting with the neighbor. Hopefully she shuts up and just enjoys them.

11. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    glad to hear its working out for you, my neighbor across the street, up a slight hill, went the the town here and put in a complaint years ago that my manure pile (horse) was gonna contaminate her well, (does water/manure run up hill???LOL) and the one rooster I had was annoying her by waking her up at 3 am. Town said nothing we can do they r not doing anything wrong, so when we found out we found an add for 12 free bantum roosters, we took them all let them little buggars run around for 3 weeks b4 we were sick of all the noise :hair:
    but it did stop the neighbor from complaing about us anymore :slapfloor: :slapfloor: :slapfloor: :wahoo: :wahoo:

12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    That'll teach her! HA! I've been lucky so far. Considering my stupid Guineas keep stopping traffic! And visiting the neighbors. Got them down to 3 now, so it's not sooo bad. But, I do take my neighbors a dozen fresh eggs occasionally. Not that they could do anything, I'm zoned for farming.

Sorry you're having trouble, Crissa...but, you know it's a buyers market now...you might find a good deal.