Bad-tempered boys?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SarahR, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarahR

SarahR New Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Hey guys :D I'm new, but I just had to share this story with you. I've been lurking for too long lol.

Basically, do any of you use hot shots (the electric cattle prod thingies) to control aggressive bucks? I was at a friend of mines the other day, and she has a particular bad-tempered guy who still has his horns, the works. She had sent her 16 year old daughter into the field to deal with him on this particular occasion, and before doing so she handed her the hot shot for 'in case he tries anything'.

Well no sooner had her daughter entered than this buck was all over her, and her response to this was to quickly get behind him and use the hot shot on his testicles! I was a bit taken aback so I looked over at her mother, but she just gave a mock wince and said 'ouch, right where it hurts!'

So before I go into any more detail, is this a usual method of dealing with aggressive bucks? I have to say it seemed to be effective.. .

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There are people who use them but I'm not sure I would want to hit his testicles.

3. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    I deal with aggressive bucks by getting rid of them. The hotshot is effective, but if you need both hands, it's kind of hard to use when needed. If he comes at her, she should shock him THEN...not once she gets behind. It obviously isn't very effective because they have to keep using it. And I'm guessing the reason it's not effective in the long run is because it isn't an immediate punishment but has a lapse time of a few seconds while they get where they want to be to use it.

4. SarahR

SarahR New Member

Sep 6, 2014
    I doubt I'm explaining it very well, but I can say the girl would probably make it as a bullfighter, because it looked pretty instant to me. It was sort of a dodge, and then the prod was on the buck's balls before he knew what was happening. Certainly he took his 'punishment' as he was still coming at her.

I can't argue with the 'get rid of him' idea though ;) Now THAT would save aggravation!

5. kc8lsk

kc8lsk New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Northern Mi
    I would never use a hot shot on the testicles as electricity can temporairly steralize the boys and depending on how often ect. can be permanate but that's up to them.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Not the proper way to handle a hot shot.
    As he comes toward you in a menacing manner, you hold it out chest heigth, tell him NO or GET BACK & let him walk into it.
    Make sure he has plenty of room when this is done.
    It will only take two or three times.

7. BCG

BCG Active Member

Jun 30, 2012
    A bucket of water in the face works wonders. :)

8. SarahR

SarahR New Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Now I don't know if it's this buck or them, but according to my friend they genuinely tried that!

See I asked about it afterwards, and she said after several times of being a victim of the buck her frustrated daughter said it wasn't working, and she really wanted to try zapping him in the balls. Mom was a bit taken aback at this 'unorthodox' approach, but she said OK, turned out it worked and it seemed to cheer her daughter up so she just went with it! Who knows where the kid came up with the idea though!

Sounds more like slapstick comedy to me :D

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Actually a bucket of water or sprayed in the face is a viable option.

10. SarahR

SarahR New Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Oh I don't doubt it, it's just the mental image that gets me :-D

11. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I would think that zapping a buck in the 'nad's would make him meaner and more apt to attack humans.

12. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I agree with lottsagoats

I'm curious as to why they are keeping an aggressive buck? Temperament is half the animal, if he doesn't have a good attitude, he should not be kept and used as a buck. Too many good looking, level headed bucks out there to keep a bad one.
    If I had to use a hot shot on an animal to keep it from hurting me every time I was near it, that animal would not be existing anymore. I don't want to have to use anything to curb aggressive behavior, my bucks don't have a mean bone in their body, and that is how good bucks (and bulls, stallions, etc) should be.

13. SarahR

SarahR New Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Thanks for all the responses guys and girls :) I just had to share the story lol. I still have a burning desire to ask my friends daughter where she came up with the idea of a hot shot to the nuts! :D

Bits-N-pieces, I'm really not sure why they are hanging on to him. If I had to guess I think sentimentality might have something to do with it.

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree; not the right way to handle an aggressive buck. A zap in the chest of side of the neck when he "attacks" would be much better than the testicles. That could really cause some damage.

15. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    A bucket of water somewhere else would probably work just as well ;)

16. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Absolutely ! He isn't connecting the punishment with the crime .
    Letting him walk into it and do it himself is letting him self correct himself which would tell him its not a good thing to be getting overly friendly with said human . I haven't had any experience with a aggressive buck , i had one instance with my Nubian when he was just getting his "behaviors in order" and i yelled no at the same time my knee jerk reaction was to smack him on the tip of his nose and it totally shook his world that i would do something like that to my precious boy , but he never did it again. I'm agreeing with not using the hot shot on his testicles , to me , thats just cruel and could damage him for further breeding , so where would that leave you …

And , sending a kid into the pen with one isn't right , just my opinion.
    I know live and learn and all , but still.

17. Chadwick

Chadwick New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Volant PA
    Yeah lottsagoats has it right, and I doubt that he is learning anything but to not let her side step him, but to get her first before she does.

As a guy all I can say is, I have pity for her husband/boyfriends in the days coming, a level of hatred that causes that behavior is not healthy.

18. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I have used a hot shot on a number of my goats. It works and they get the message after one time. But if it was a aggressive animal it would be gone. I used it on my young buck when he challenged me and it was over and haven't had a issue in a year and a half. But other then that I have used it more for like when they push past me to get in the feed shed and they won't get out and things like that where they are harming me but not being down right mean about it......just Ill-mannered

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

19. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I agree with Chadwick. That girl has a sadistic streak and I would not be surprised if she was doing cruel things to other animals (probably male) also.

Up here that would be considered animal cruelty. A hot shot in the chest, shoulder etc is one thing, but in the gonads is just plain cruel.

20. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I can understand people using the hot shot as a training device, when its done humanely. Some breeds are just downright huge and when you have a herd of them , safety is paramount.
    But not on their private areas . That is being very cruel and not teaching the buck anything IMO. I agree Chadwick and lottsagoats.
    That would be considered animal cruelty here as well when used in that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.