Bad udder (rant)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kay, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay Member

Jan 21, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I am so disappointed in our Alpine (Velvet) FF's udder. She delivered a single buckling on Thursday and her udder is tiny and terribly uneven. We put her and her baby in with the rest of the herd for a bit today. Her kid started nursing off another mom! I wonder if he was getting much milk from her. It seems all 3 of the kids are nursing off Tsunami, but only off one side so the other side is huge! Do I seperate all 3 does with their kids?

First all bucks and now this. :angry:

I am so frustrated right now! What do I do with this doe? She is my solid black sweet girl and I had high hopes of getting a nice doe from her. Is there any hope of improvement next year or should I not waste the time? She has good genetics so I am surprised. :sigh:

Thanks for listening. I feel a bit better.
    Kay

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Usually, uneven udders are caused by kids nursing more from one side...it is fixable but it takes you milking the low side multiple times a day...4-5 times as opposed to 2. FF sometimes do have the smaller udders, not all will have an udder that produces amounts comparable to 2nd and 3rd fresheners. Frequent milkings as as well as genetics work together to build capacity.

As far as kids nursing from udders they don't belong to..I've never encountered this as my moms will not allow a kid that isn't theirs near them.

My doe Binkey freshened her first time with an udder the size of a grapefruit...with her 2nd freshening it tripled in size.

3. Kay

Kay Member

Jan 21, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Oh, thanks, Liz!
    I will work on the milking. I thought if I milked that side 2x's daily that would do. I will do it more often. How long do you have to milk that much?

I am separating Velvet with her buckling for a bit to make sure he is nursing.

My FF (Tsunami) last year had a good udder right off, so I was surprised to see Velvet's. Tsunami was kind to all the kids last year too, though they didn't nurse off her. This year she is just a push-over :roll:

Thanks, again.
    Kay

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would go with the frequent milkings for at least a week, and if at all possible try and get her boy to nurse that side too...sometimes placing tape on the teat he frequents helps...he will keep her even for you once he realizes theres "2 taps", doing the multiple milkings will keep her production going while he is learning.

Once you see him nurse both sides you can do "strip out" milkings 2x a day to help increase her capacity, you may not get much but what you do take will be replaced instead of it sitting in there telling her to not make more.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    agree with Liz

also note every FF udder is awesome -- you dont see their true udder till they are on their 3 freshioning. but it is important to keep it even as possible on the FF so that they dont end up with a lopsided udder from now on.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the majority of FF udders are small, and she may have been a bit precocious with t he udder building, making it lopsided. capacity comes with experience

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others... :wink: :thumb:

8. Kay

Kay Member

Jan 21, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Thanks, everyone!

We put Velvet and her buckling in a separate stall. The buckling is nursing and we are milking several times a day to help with the side the he isn't nursing off of. I will try the tape. What kind of tape do you use?

Everyday is a learning experience with these critters! But I love 'em :p

9. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I think you can buy special teat tape.
    I didn't have any, so when I had this problem what I did was take a piece of a plastic grocery bag and lightly drape it over the teat, and then tape it onto the udder with masking tape. Didn't seem to bother her and the kids didn't even try to nurse through it. I only left it on for a few hours at a time, took it off for a bit, then reapplied it. I was careful to make sure it was on securely, too.

10. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
  11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use the paper tape from the drug store...I think it is an athletic type tape, it breathes and is easy to take off without injury to the skin.