Bad week....would like to cry!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Mar 8, 2011.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well......my little Bones that loss all his hair and that I have been dealing with legs mites has a bad case of mange! He looks awful and I can not figure out why his immune system has been so compromised. I have given him an injection of Ivomec and gave him Ivomec by mouth and then today we actually brought him in the house (laundry room) and dipped him, to cold to do it outside....then he got blown dried and he loved it. (then I spent the rest of the day cleaning the house) I am giving him supportive supplements, Vit E, complex B, probios, Zinc, I copper bolused him and gave him Vit.E/Sel gel, benaydrel. I have also treated the other 2 boys with Ivomec. I talked with the vet today and he says I am doing eveything I can (he wasn't much help)....he said watch for infection and start him on antibiotics if need be. I feel for anyone whom ever has to deal with these things......they are horrible! If any one has any other advice I would love to hear it! I am so praying that we can get him well and pass this......I don't want to lose another......we want to get another boy, but I can't bring one here with this crap!
    Ok....thanks for reading my rambling, just needed to get it out!

2. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'm sorry! Take a deep breath, and know that he's going to be just fine!

3. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    It sounds like you are doing everything humanly possible to get him well. Hang in there, and give him good hugs.

Jan

4. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I'm sorry that you have to go through all this... I hope you can spend some quality time with little Bones and just love on him. I think both of you need that..
    Good luck

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'm right there with you! Last night I was about to take a plane to anywhere but here. It sounds like you are doing everything you can and hopefuly Bones will be better in no time at all. I noticed some of my goats got really itchy when we brought in some straw, so we switched to a different kind and that helped. Just something else to throw out there. If he's itching himself (with the bugs gone now) I might give him some benadryl or even use a little hydrocortisone cream on the itchy spots to help prevent more scratching. Those bites will probably itch for a couple days even with the bugs gone.

6. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Oh no, poor lil guy! :( You have been fighting so hard and now this! I am so sorry. I wish I could help you BUT...as you know we have the mite problem here too! Hang in there! :hug:
    I wonder, is he still feeling the loss of Murphy? Maybe that could be why his immune system is compromised? A little far fetched, I know, but it's a thought.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh i'm sorry Denise. :( Poor little dude. I bet he'll pull through alright...you've doing everything you can.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry your lil man is going through this :( I hope and pray that he gets better real soon! I've dealt with mites on kids last summer, and it was so frustrating, I can't imagine dealing with mange! Thoughts and prayers going out for Bones!

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Milkmaid.....we have thought the very same thing, that maybe this has something to do with him losing Murphy and it has came to a head......we really want to get him a new buddy, have been waiting for spring and to get some traveling we have to do out of the way.......I really thought he was doing good since Murphy's death......but now I wonder to.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Denise...how awful...Praying for things to turn around for the better.... :hug: :pray:

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Have been talking with 2 different vets and finally seeing a little improvement......this stuff is the worse!

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :hug: :pray:

Glad you are seeing improvement... that is a good sign.... :hug: :pray:

14. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    It's always good to get things out. Super to hear "a little improvement", and continued healing vibes for Bones. In the past when you had mite issues and someone losing hair, did you ever try Stacey's suggestion of Aloe Vera Juice? I'm trying to remember, if someone's goat didn't like it. It might be better later, when the mange/mites are completely under control, and more for healing and making the skin feel better.

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep.....I have tried it and they all spit and sputter it right back at me! I am giving Bones a Vit E capsule every day right now.......his skin looks much better today! I just can't wait for warmer weather and I can do a complete clean out......I did go out and pulled back the top layers of bedding and dusted it well and then put new clean layer on top and I also sprayed walls and benches, gates, fencing with permectin. It is still to cold here to do a complete cleaning.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: I'm so sorry to hear that Bones is dealing with this...I know how stressed you are too :hug: Besides stress that can cause skin/coat issues...in Bones case, the loss of his buddy, I'm wondering if hormones can play a role too? I know he's a wether but I dealt with Bailey losing her hair a month after she delivered last year and she has thin spots now at 2 1/2 weeks post delivery...I know it's hormones with her but I wonder if it could be that with Bones :whatgoat:

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    You know Liz.....I have wonder the same thing.....I really thought Bones was doing great with the loss of Murphy......All 3 boys have been acting sooooo bucky the past couple of weeks.....I know Bones has a bad mite issue, but he has also loss most of his coat which I don't think is all from mites....it is very thin. Today Elwood started losing his hair by the handful and he has no mite issue going on. Elwoods skin is just as soft and smooth and no crusties on him.....If Elwood loses anymore and it stays cold, I'll have to find a coat for him! I am treating all 3 for mites to be safe and giving supportive supplements and praying they all get past this soon! Tuesday we worked outside all day and had them out with us running the property like free birds and they loved it......seemed to help with their cabin fever! They have been much calmer the past 2 days!

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California