Badly Bloated Goat ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Native87, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Native87

Native87 New Member

I have a 4 year old doe that I think got into the hog pellets last night. SHe is very sluggish and looks bloated to me. I have so far been able to give her 36cc of vegetable oil and about two tbsp of baking soda. Her temperature is 100.6 up from 99.3 this morning I have her in the heat away from the outside. Any one think of anything else I can do. She has had three bowel movements since the oil but is still in misery it seems.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Here is a great ..older post ...that may help alot...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16740&hilit=Rush

Don't give any grain...

Keep working on that temp....

I'd give her activated charcoal....

Good luck.. :hug: :pray:

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't really add anything but sure hope your doe pulls through. :pray:

4. Native87

Native87 New Member

Bunny is eating hay now and that is wonderful. Still pretty puny. She has no fever but she does have yellowish snot. What do you all think my course of action should be?? Thanks for the support and help

5. ksalvagno

Does she have a temperature?

6. Native87

Native87 New Member

Im sorry Karen to have left that out. Her temp is 101.8. The vet gave her a shot of excede wednesday night. I believe she said it would last three days. Her nose is running clear but it is yellow in the mornings after she gets up. Thanks for you time. ~ Terry

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    This is the post I found it...about Excede....scroll down on the page.... this drug... is a new one ...so I am unsure about... what to tell you on it..... :hug:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15625&start=0

8. ksalvagno

I guess it depends on the vet but my vet calls it a 4 day shot but you include the day you gave the shot as the 4 days. I use Excede and keep it on hand. It has worked well for me. My vet has me dose it at 1cc per 40 lbs. I had a doe that aborted and retained some placenta. My vet had me put her on Excede for the antibiotic. My vet just says to give it SQ. No specific area.