The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago, one of our livestock guardian dogs attacked our smallest doeling. She was recovering well but was attacked again tonight. We will be putting the dog down after she whelps (she’s currently pregnant).

Do we have any shot of saving this doeling? The bite punctured through to her sinus cavities and through the bottom of her jaw, and I believe tore her tongue into pieces. We’ve been gently cleaning her and gave her Banamine. She was on penicillin g until yesterday after the first attack. If we have a shot of saving her, what should we do for meds at this point? She’s my teenager’s bottle baby and our only registered, polled, purebred goat. We are all just sick over this. Graphic photo below

Dog Carnivore Water dog Thigh Companion dog

101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remove the dog from the pasture. She doesn't need to be with the goats... Just curious, what state do you live in?
Oregon. We are putting the dog down for sure. I refuse to rehome a dog who does this. I don’t have a second fenced pasture to put her in, and I can’t risk my pet dogs or my neighbors’s animals by just letting her out.

·
Registered
"Did you know cats can fly?"- asked the little girl. Mom- "No?" Girl-**Throws off cliff**
6,276 Posts
Oregon. We are putting the dog down for sure. I refuse to rehome a dog who does this. I don’t have a second fenced pasture to put her in, and I can’t risk my pet dogs or my neighbors’s animals by just letting her out.
Id get her out of there, even if you had to bring her in your house. Im so sorry about your daughters baby, I know how it feels.. Hugs

101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or you could put the dog on a chain or long leash
That’s a good idea. I really can’t bring her in. Not with two pet dogs she would definitely attack and two kids and my elderly parents. Also I brought the baby goat inside for the night. I’m terrified for my other goats but they seem to give her a wider berth than this one ever did.

·
Registered
"Did you know cats can fly?"- asked the little girl. Mom- "No?" Girl-**Throws off cliff**
6,276 Posts
That’s a good idea. I really can’t bring her in. Not with two pet dogs she would definitely attack and two kids and my elderly parents. Also I brought the baby goat inside for the night. I’m terrified for my other goats but they seem to give her a wider berth than this one ever did.
I understand, Id def put her on a leash. If you dont have one, maybe you have some rope you could use til tomorrow & just tie it to her collar?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Or get a large kennel for her. You’ll need a o have the puppies somewhere for awhile as well.
What breed of LGD is she?
Is she more upset about goats getting too close to her since she’s closer to whelping?
Was she also pregnant when she attacked this same goat previously?
I’m so sorry you are having to deal with this. Poor little goat 😢

101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or get a large kennel for her. You’ll need a o have the puppies somewhere for awhile as well.
What breed of LGD is she?
Is she more upset about goats getting too close to her since she’s closer to whelping?
Was she also pregnant when she attacked this same goat previously?
I’m so sorry you are having to deal with this. Poor little goat 😢
She’s a Maremma, full blooded. The sire for her pups is half maremma and half great Pyr. He’s younger than her and overly playful still but not aggressive. The female attacked a doe for her placenta last March, but she resource guards food so we put it down to that. One of them bit a doeling last May but we couldn’t figure out which one and she recovered. Now this. Yes she’s more aggressive while pregnant, but I’ll never trust her again. it also doesn’t help that the baby goat tried to nurse off the pregnant dog. That was… never going to end well.

I have an extremely maternal German shepherd (indoor pet) who would definitely nurture the pups after they’re born (she’s currently crying outside the door where we are keeping the injured baby goat for the moment. She desperately wants to clean and care for it).

·
Registered
Goats
388 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that! If it punctured her sinus cavity, as yiu seem to think, bacteria can very easily infect the brain and cause her to pass painfully. IF you are trying to save her, you need to take her to a vet ASAP just to see the full extent of the damages and be fully informed before making that decision.

Definitely remove the dog somehow, especially since she's nearing whelping and will most likely get more and more aggressive. Is there an emergency vet you can call just for advice tonight?

·
Super Moderator
16,599 Posts
I am so very sorry you are going threw this.
As someone who has bottle fed just about everything there is from kittens to a fawn, puppies were not as easy as I thought it would be. If there is a way to keep the dog away from the goats and feed the puppies until weaning j would seriously consider it. Again I’m so sorry about all of this please give your daughter a extra hug for me

101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm so sorry to hear that! If it punctured her sinus cavity, as yiu seem to think, bacteria can very easily infect the brain and cause her to pass painfully. IF you are trying to save her, you need to take her to a vet ASAP just to see the full extent of the damages and be fully informed before making that decision.

Definitely remove the dog somehow, especially since she's nearing whelping and will most likely get more and more aggressive. Is there an emergency vet you can call just for advice tonight?
The goat is asleep with no fever, but we are going to give her a very large dose of painkiller if she’s worse when she wakes up. I’m relatively convinced she will just pass in her sleep. She’s already had a maximum dose of Banamine.

I have an unused garage we are converting to a large, better barn that I can put the dog in. Assuming the barn cats are smart enough to stay away that should work until she whelps.

·
Registered
Goats
388 Posts
The goat is asleep with no fever, but we are going to give her a very large dose of painkiller if she’s worse when she wakes up. I’m relatively convinced she will just pass in her sleep. She’s already had a maximum dose of Banamine.

I have an unused garage we are converting to a large, better barn that I can put the dog in. Assuming the barn cats are smart enough to stay away that should work until she whelps.
Hopefully she does. Hugs to the both of you

1 - 20 of 92 Posts