The Goat Spot Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I've seen many small babies in large litters. They usually are slower to get going but they usually get active in a few days too. The others will seem to do everything faster than the runt. Fuchsia's runt is her black doeling. She is tiny. I still worry about her but she seems to be doing well. No where near as active as her brothers.

Your welcome.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Bailey & her little ones are all doing well. It's pretty chilly here today & Bailey wants to go to the barn (instead of the kidding pen w/ a dog house that she's been in since kidding)with all the other does, but I'm not sure the kids are ready to join the herd just yet. What do you guys think? Is it ok to put Bailey w/ her kids back w/ the rest of the does? I've let Bailey & the kids out to play/interact with the other does when I've been out there with them & none of the others really tried to bother the kids, the junior does came over to investigate who these new balls of fluff were but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
after 3 days I usually let mine all back together again. The reason I wait that long is because I want the kids to be sure enough on their legs to move quickly if needed. Some kids are ready as early as 2 days.

Since they have already been introduced I see no reason why there would be an issue putting them with everyone

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I don't let my kids out with the group till they're a week old and I don't let them stay overnight with the herd till 2 weeks at least. Depends on their sizes and ability to move. I've seen some does be mean to babies. I do however, keep many escape and hiding spots so that babies can get away from mean does. Not to mention babies can get through the feed trough area and away from adult does all together there.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I agree with Ashley, depends on how quick these babies are and if there are any aggressive does in your herd. My kids generally stay with their moms in a stall for 2 weeks, of course they are out with the others to interact and play but they don't go to bed with the herd til they are 2 weeks old. I have a low bench built in so that the little ones can run under it if threatened, I've even seen Binky and Angel under it when Tilly and Boots go at it, keeps them safe and they snuggle up under there too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Thanks for the info eveyone.

:tears: Sadly we lost Bailey's TINY buckling "Fudge Brownie" this morning. I went out to feed the goats & found him laying in the pen with his momma & littermates hovering near him. It was so sad, this is the first kid we have ever lost. :tears:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Oh how sad!!! Do you know what happened or was he just to weak and it being too cool? I'm so sorry you lost him. Its not easy to lose babies.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I feel terrible :( !!! I'm afraid it was my fault that "Brownie" didn't make it, he was shivering last night when I went out to do the evening check & I told my husband as he was leaving for work. He told me that I could bring a crate in the house & put the kids in it. I wish I would have done that now I guess :sigh: . I was worried that coming in/going out again might be hard for the kids to adjust to the temp. change.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
What I do is make little jackets out of old sweatshirts. I had an old down filled winter jacket that I cut the sleeves off to fit the kids. They are all warm and snugly in them. I need to get photos they look so cute!!

I am really sorry you lost the little guy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
That's a great idea. I'll have to remember that next time the kids are chilly I can make them little coats. I bet some of the dog sweaters I have left over from my Miniature Pinschers would fit some kids too.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I purchased one of those heat mats (it's designed for piglets), I think that was one of the best things I bought. I had it in Izzy's kidding stall and every morning I'd come out and all the kids were warm and toasty on the mat. I got the big one...it was $150. but if it saves one kid it was worth it.

Sorry you lost your little one. But, we learn something with every loss. I lost a doeling because I was watching one doe and didn't check the other...she wasn't due for another couple weeks (or so I thought), THAT will never happen again! :hug:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Those coats are too cute Chelsey.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am still learning all of this & I hate that "Brownie" didn't make it due to my ignorance.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts