The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to offer baking soda free-choice to aid in digestion. I thought I had read somewhere that it shouldn't be offered to bucks because it can cause urinary stones but now I can't find much about that! Is that true or do you all offer it to your bucks as well?

Thanks!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I give it to my boys, and so dose any breeder I know around here..

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have a pet Nubian wether. I mix a good amount of ammonium chloride into their minerals, and just mix in about 2-3 tbsp. of baking soda. By the end of the day, Shasta looks huge and bloated just from some hay and oak leaves. I can't imagine if he got into the grain, I like to add some in just in case.

For example. We recently went camping for two nights and three days. We had our neighbor take care of the goats and other animals while we were gone. She always does a great job, and actually owns Saanens herself. However, she completely forgot to clip the gate, and the second day the goats were in the backyard from 7 am to 6 pm. Thankfully, the layer, goat grain, and scratch were all safely locked in the barn. However, they did eat a good amount of unmedicated chick starter and a lot of different plants than they are used to. I was thankful that they do have probios and baking soda available for situations like that, and everyone turned out fine. I think the key is to mix some with their minerals or only leave a little out each day. Alternatively, you could just feed as needed and maybe leave it out while you are away. :)

·
2,203 Posts
We offer baking soda for the guys on the weekends and as needed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses! Sounds like there's some mixed baking soda practices around here! I might just offer it as needed, then. I'll have to look into the ammonium chloride, too. Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts