Baking Soda- interesting article

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MtnRidgeFarm, Mar 5, 2018.

1. MtnRidgeFarm

MtnRidgeFarm Active Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    I'd love all of your thoughts here. When we got our goats we did not free feed BS. Then a friend convinced me to do it. After reading numerous posts here about NOT feeding BS free choice, I withdrew it. (It was only out for about a month) Today I read this article:

https://thriftyhomesteader.com/goats-need-baking-soda/

What are your thoughts? Do you agree with what she has to say? Every farm is different. We do not have pasture that our dairy goats are on. They are fed hay and grain, and when they are milking, grain twice a day on the milk stand.
    Looking forward to hearing what you think of the article!

2. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Fascinating. I saw some people on here (including my goats' breeder) highly recommend baking soda so I used to offer it next to the minerals. Then I saw others on this forum insisting that goats will overmedicate and make themselves sick with it. That and the fact that I was going through tons of baking soda thanks to rats pooping in it had me rethinking it. Now I'm wondering if I should keep it in a closed Tupperware container and only offer it for an hour after feeding any grain. Hmmm.

odieclark and MtnRidgeFarm like this.

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

She's my favourite farm blogger, at least in part because of her nuanced approach to issues. Natural browse is close to 70% of their diet, with hay taking up most of the rest. No hay at all in the summertime.I don't feed grain, but I do feed some alfalfa pellets. Have to think about this.

I did like Your suggestion, @Deborah Haney and the 3rd comment under the article.

odieclark likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never had a reason to keep baking soda out and I feed grain. Hay and grazing is their main diet but they get a lot of grain during milking. Also keep in mind that baking soda deactivates ammonium chloride so you put your males more at risk. If you have problems with bloating, then maybe you might want to consider putting it out part of the time. But even if the goats get into chicken feed, doesn't mean they are guaranteed to bloat.

5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Yeah, she did talk about treating her males differently...

odieclark likes this.
  6. MtnRidgeFarm

MtnRidgeFarm Active Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    I don't have any males and haven't had any bloating issues!

mariarose likes this.
  7. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    I put out baking soda on a fairly regular basis. The goats don't eat it very often and I throw some of it away now and then but there are times when they do eat it. I don't know or understand why the differences in when they eat it and don't but as long as they maintain a healthy digestive system that is all I am interested in.

odieclark, snrsfarm and MtnRidgeFarm like this.