Baking Soda or No Baking Soda?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rebelshope, Oct 1, 2008.

1. All the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Some of the time

76.9%
  3. Never unless needed

23.1%
  1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I read that goats should have baking soda, so I put it out. Then I heard on a message board that they should not have baking soda all the time. Then I read on another thread that they should.

I am SO confused :scratch:

Should you have baking soda out all the time or not?

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    We have it out all the time- It balances the acid in the rumen in the summertime to prevent bloat- we have had no cases of bloat this year since using it- we don't give it in the winter months though.

3. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    lol I know how you feel. When i was considering plopping 2 mini goats in my backyard i kept getting mixed messages from all the sites. Some told me that you needed and acre, others said you dont need much.
    And some told me they were low maitenance, but on the same site its going on about how much your doing :worried:

so anyway, about the baking soda. I wouldnt have a clue :slapfloor:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I try to have baking soda out constantly. Sometimes i'll run out and they might not have it out for around a week, but I do my best to have it around at all times. In the winter I usually don't have it out either, as the last post said.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    we have it for them.............. all the time and I agree with heathersboers about the rumen,, :thumbup:

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Toth!!! we sure do agree on lots of things- wish you were closer- we could be partners!! :wink:

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you said it girl............isn't that the truth... :dance: :thumbup: :)

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep, agree i try to have all the time cuz they like it when they have a stomachs ache.

9. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Is there any reason to not have it out? They had it, but I took it out about two weeks ago, so I will put more out again. It seems that when ever I offer Chey some she always takes a little .

10. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I have it out for my goats all the time. Of course, I run out, and when I do, it might take me a little while to remember to pick up some more. But when I have it I put it out free choice.
    Alot of times my goats will be REALLY interested in it and eat it when I first put it out, but after it's been in there and they know it, they only eat it when they need it.

Can't say I've had any known issues caused by the baking soda being out all the time. I can't imagine what the problem would be. :scratch: Other than a waste of money if they were eating at it constantly for no reason, but normally they won't do that.

Now Baking Soda doesn't mix well with ACV. Atleast not directly together (ever do a volcanoe rupture expirament). Apparantly (I never did one, so this is just here say) you use baking soda and ACV together to make the eruption. So I'm not sure if it would be good to mix Baking soda and ACV for the goats ... unsure what that would do to their gut when mixed directly together. So I'm unsure about that. Although I'm sure there's lots of people who have free choice baking soda out as well as ACV in their goats water ... and we haven't HEARD of any problems so far ... er atleast I haven't. So I dunno. But that's the only thing I could POSSIBLY think of having a problem with baking soda out free choice. :shrug:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I only leave it out sometimes...in the Spring when everything is brand new and VERY green and I offer it at those times when I have an overly indulged doe that groans when she lays down..Tilly will run to scarf down ANYTHING she thinks the other goats shouldn't have, I offer it at bedtime most nights wen I replenish hay racks, I don't leave it out freechoice because they don't always take it and it got a funky crust on it the first and last time I had it out freechoice...they really didn't want it then!

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    you dont want it in the rain, i know that from experience. so keep in their house or under something

13. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I leave it out free choice for my does and add it to the feed for my bucks since they dont live in a barn and just have little huts. My does will eat it if I leave it out free choice. They dont hog it or anything but it is there if they need it.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I leave it out all the time. For me I never know when they just MIGHT bloat for some silly reason.

I do leave it out for sure in the winter because sometimes they have to be locked up because of the snow, and I have noticed when they are in their last trimester I have several goats eat a lot of it. I guess they are no different then us when we are pregnant. I know a lot of people that need there tums and stuff.

I but the 5# bag at Sams, and leave it in the barn so I always remember to fill it.

15. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    My goats always have baking soda available but will only eat it if it's "fresh". I usually put a small amount out every couple days or so and remove whatever they didn't use. Same with their minerals. I hate wasting but if I do not do this, they turn up their noses...

16. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Northeast Georgia
    Our goats are just pets/brush controllers, mostly wethers, and get NO grain at all, so bloat is probably not much of a risk for our goats. We worry more about UC. For the first 2 years I provided free choice baking soda, but there was so much disagreement about it that I decided to just ditch it based on a couple of sentences from a NY Times article about humans and kidney stones. I realize this may have absolutely nothing to do with goats, but I figure I'll let nature take its course here.

"Patients taking sodium bicarbonate must test their urine regularly with pH paper, which turns different colors depending on whether the urine is acidic or alkaline. Too much sodium bicarbonate can cause the urine to become too alkaline. This increases the risk for calcium phosphate stones...."

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides ... tions.html

Just what we do. No cases of UC either with or without BS.

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    It was always getting soiled so I just stopped keeping it out. They never ate it because by day 2 it was pooped in and they wouldnt touch it! so I got tired of changing it and I thankfuly have never had a problem with bloat. :pray:

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I bought a metal mineral feeder from the farm store that is bolted onto the side of the barn. I mix my baking soda with my minerals and it has worked great.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    we used to mix our loose salt and minerals with baking soda , but there were a few that do not like baking soda or visa versa,,when they kidded .we found selenium deficient kids....... so we stopped mixing it,,that is just what happened to us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,since we stop mixing it.............we have had no problems..........since :)