Baking Soda

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OurJourneysEnd, Nov 6, 2009.

1. OurJourneysEnd

OurJourneysEnd New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Caro, MI
    From reading posts here, I see people mention the minerals and baking soda. We have a billy block out for our girls, but I have never read about baking soda. What is it for? And how do you put it out?

Still a lot to learn, thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    baking soda should be left out free choice so that if they have digestive upset they will eat it. Some days you will see more gone then others. I find that in the spring with the added green stuff they eat more till they get use to the new diet.

3. OurJourneysEnd

Nov 1, 2009
    Caro, MI
    Is it something you buy in block form? Or do you just sprinkle from a box into a little pan? Thanks for the reply!

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Ditto to what Stacey said.

If you purchase (or possibly make) a two-way mineral feeder, we fill one side with their minerals and the other with baking soda.

I also use baking soda in their yard after cleaning. Put a layer of soda down and then a light layer of cedar-tow shavings, keeps things clean, smelling good, and not mucky. In large areas, I just put this down in the part that is "heavy traffic". Baking soda has a lot of good uses. . .

To answer the latest question. . . you can just buy it at the store in the smaller containers or you can go to a feed store and buy it in a 50 lb. bag.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    is the same stuff you bake with :)

6. OurJourneysEnd

Nov 1, 2009
    Caro, MI
    Well I know what I'll be out buying today. Thanks for the help!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    totally agree with all mentioned......armin hammer baking soda.... :wink: :greengrin:

8. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Can you mix with the minerals?

9. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    You might think about lose minerals for goats to. Mine get a billy block also with the lose stuff and they eat the lose stuff way faster.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can...if you wish.....I personally.... put it separate.... :wink: :greengrin:

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Putting it seperatly is best. They know when they need it. And will eat it when they feel they need it. Other ties the bloat too fast and you have to shove baking soda into the,. Its mostly for helping to relieve gas and pressure.
    beth

12. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I also have a billy block out and I never thought about loose minerals and did not know about the baking soda. How do the feeders work and where or how do you make them? I will be getting baking soda today and putting it out!

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can put the minerals and baking soda in anything that will hold them up off the ground.

I have a split dish mineral feeder that is screwed into the wall - one side is for BS and one is for minerals

14. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I kypked this from one of my old posts:

My goats do best on the Golden Blend mineral off of Hoeggers:

http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/prod ... t=0&page=1

My DH made these neat mineral / baking soda feeders that does an excellent job of preventing wasted mineral - mounted above "butt level" so they don't poop in in, and in a dry & wind free area of the barn. The top/cap is removable to make refilling a snap! We have them in every pen.

4 pairs of feeders made for less than $10 each :)

Attached Files:

15. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Thank you for showing the feeders, my husband manages a plumbing store and I am going to send him the picture so we can get a set made! I did stop at Tractor Supply and I was reading the bag of loose minerals and it said to be very careful about the intake per goat. I only have three, how do you know how much to put in the feeder?

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats should have free choice minerals - they will eat only what they need and it should be available 24/7 for that very reason. :thumb:

17. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks for the info, husband is working on the feeders from the pic i sent him and I will purchase loose minerals tomorrow as I RARELY see them licking the billy blocks and they arent getting smaller!

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    might take them a bit to realize what the minerals are -- be sure to mix the exposed minerals up to keep it smelling fresh -- they will figure it out quickly :thumb:

19. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    do you suggest a certain brand of minerals? i have a block but they seldom lick it.. I will try making some PVC feeders like I see here and hopefully they will use it. man i have so much to learn.

20. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I personally only feed baking Soda free choice to my does. It can throw off the PH balance in Bucks and wethers so you have to be careful with that. I do give Baking Soda to the boys immediately though if I notice them acting "uncomfortable" at all. I feed Sweetlix Meat Maker loose minerals and I bolus with copper every 6 months.