Baking soda

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by peggy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I am having trouble keeping my free choice baking soda dry and also clean. Would it be okay to sprinkle a little on the grain rations that my goats get each day?????

2. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I'm not sure about putting it on their grain but could you just put a small amount amount somewhere that they have access to & then check the amount every day or so?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I think we all have that issue.... if you have a building to put it inside...that would help some... but... they always seem to step in it no matter..... :doh: So just refreshing it as needed...is about all I do.... :wink: If someone has a great remedy I'd love to hear it as well.... :thumb: Putting it in the grain sometimes is OK.... if you see they are bloated.... :wink:

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    maybe one of those tin feeder for rabbits would work. one with a solid bottom instead of mesh. just an idea....
    why put out baking soda?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I only but Baking Soda out when I am changing something in their diet - like differernt hay or from hay to browse

otherwise its a waste

6. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks for the help guys. I guess I thought they needed it free access and they would use it if they needed it. I do have it inside but it never fails that somebody stands in it or god knows what else.....lol..... I guess I will just keep an eye on it and refresh it now and then.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome..... :thumb:

8. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We keep it out free choice but in small amounts.

Tractor supply and other stores have the wall mount mineral feeders in single or double. Just screw it in to the interior wall. That way they don't step, pee or poo in it.

9. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks Amika, I will have to have a look for one.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My buddy Steph has those double wall mounted mineral feeders from TSC, she has them placed high enough to avoid the berries and has concrete blocks under them so the goats step up to reach them.

11. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Thats a great idea Liz... I may try that with my regular feeders, maybe having to "step up" to the feeder will help stop some of the bullying that my herd queen (and oddly enough the goat who is being difficult in the breeding department) exhibits. I have had to default to tying everyone up at individual feed stations due to the pushing around she does.

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I use an old cooking pan, put some in it and run it by everyone, letting them get what they want. If it's dry out I"ll put a little int he pan and leave it near the mineral. It usually doesn't last long enough for berries, or pee, but I do worry about them stepping in it. But like I said...I don't give much and they eat it up.
    I usually offer it a few times a month, as I don't see any reason why I have to offer it more than that?