The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few threads about giving backing soda to the goats? What is the purpose of feeding it? Is it for does only or should everybody be getting it? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
You really only need it if they are bloated.

Some people offer it free choice but I am not a fan of doing that.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've heard a lot of people say you only really need to offer it free choice if your goats have access to a lot of grass. Other than that they only need it if they're bloated.

I don't offer it free choice and my girls are on pasture. I just save it for in case they need it and so far I've never had a girl come down with bloat. It really does seem to be an owners preference type thing.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Mine have plenty of access to grass and I don't offer it to them free choice. They naturally make it and I would prefer not to mess with that.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I use baking soda with my Boer wethers just to get them to drink more but I am not sure of the exact reason to.:)

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Salt will encourage them to drink more. I wouldn't use baking soda. If your males are getting ammonium chloride, baking soda deactivates it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will they eat the baking soda on their own when they have bloat? Or would u have to drench them with it?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a pic after he ate today. I rubbed his belly like my book said and he stood there. He kind of stretched out and when he walks he holds his tail wierd. Could that be bloat? And he usually wouldn't let me rub his belly like that. I still have to catch him sometimes.

ForumRunner_20131103_215950.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No he still eats and drinks. But yesterday he didn't act like he felt good. He has the don't want to be caught and jump around syndrome lol. So yesterday when he just stood still and didn't try to get away when I caught him and rub his belly...it kinda concerned me. I talked with the guy I got them from and he said I might should take them off the alfalfa since they are whethers. He said it might be bloating him.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
If you recently got them and this is a change in diet, that can definitely do it. All dietary changes should always be done slowly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started them off with about a 1/2 cup each. And over the last few months increased it to about a cup of the pellets. The mixed hay with molasses on it I was splitting a gallon ziplock bag between them over a 2 day period.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They have a little pasture. But not a lot of grass here right now. Its all turned brown.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts