The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang! Baking soda is ok right? I'm cleaning my goat pen and I always put it under the bedding but for some reason this time they are all over it. They want to eat it! I googled, said it's ok but wanted to run it by the pro's! If ok, free will or can they eat too much?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Hi gang! Baking soda is ok right? I'm cleaning my goat pen and I always put it under the bedding but for some reason this time they are all over it. They want to eat it! I googled, said it's ok but wanted to run it by the pro's! If ok, free will or can they eat too much?
It is ok, but, they make their own. You do not need leave it out for them as it can hinder their own rumen function. Do you have loose mineral out for them all of the time? Maybe there is something they are lacking as to why they are nomming it. I would jist put a bit of shavings over the bs and they will most likely leave it alone. Sweet pdz stall refresher is good for smells. Mine never try eat that even when i put it on a bare floor.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I found a post from @NigerianDwarfOwner707 about baking soda that should help you out!

As for the baking soda, 1. Goats produce their own bicarbonate, they do not need baking soda and if they consume it regularly, their bodies become reliant on it - it is then rendered useless and won't even help in a bad situation. 2. For boys it is extremely dangerous because it can cause urinary calculi, as it de-acidifies urine and allows stones to form. And 3. It can actually prevent the absorption of certain minerals and cause deficiencies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While we are on the subject, why do all the goat mineral bags say I should monitor their consumption to 1/4 to 1/2 OZ / day? I have been putting it out free will. Takes them forever to eat it but I would like to learn why the bag says to monitor consumption....

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
While we are on the subject, why do all the goat mineral bags say I should monitor their consumption to 1/4 to 1/2 OZ / day? I have been putting it out free will. Takes them forever to eat it but I would like to learn why the bag says to monitor consumption....
Will notice them licking the mineral when they need it. Then there are times when it seems to never empty. Not sure why the bags say that. Other than it is a thing that has to be put on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts