Bald patches!!??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I have been dealing with an issue of what I assume to be copper deficency in one of my goats.
    Now she has two patches of missing fur along her back. Both patches are about 1'' across by 4''. I am wondering if anyone else has dealt with this?? I plan on taking her for a skin scraping on Tuesday.. She had thinning /reddish hair abiout three weeks ago, as of yesterday there are two bald patches..eeek!! Any ideas??!! THANKS!!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This could be from her rubbing against something, I have a doe now that has 2 bald spots 1 on her side just beyond her shoulder, the other on her rump.......I know mine are recovering from copper deficiency, but I actually saw her climbing in the hay rack and where the edge of it is is exactly where the bald spots are :wink: Calm down, watch her over the next couple days and see if you catch her rubbing on something, if not...the skin scraping wouldn't hurt.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with Liz.... :wink: Also maybe check for lice .....

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Could be a zinc deficiency.

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    After I read these replies, I realized that there is a spot in the enclosure where she can squeeze through, she is barly big enough, and it only makes sense that she would be rubbing her fur off ..
    But...how would I know if she needs more zinc??
    Oh, and thanks so much for the replies!!