The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe with bald spots. Can this result from mating? urine scald?

I noticed bald spots, and matted, sticky hair, on her rump shortly after going into heat and mating with buck. She does not seem to be bothered by them and I have not seen her scratch or bite the area. After being in heat again. she has bald spots symmetrically on her sides - about where the bucks front feet would be during mating.

Wood Fawn Snout Hat Fur

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,147 Posts
Poor girl, that looks painful. I have never even thought about that being a possibility, but I can totally see that happening! Are your bucks and does always together? Is your buck aggressive and/or an aggressive breeder)?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, does not seem to be painful or itchy. Yes my buck is with the herd but he is not aggressive. He is persistent when a doe is in heat but that never lasts for more than a day. Not a problem I've seen in the other does.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
If additional bald spots are now advancing along the spine I would watch her very carefully for signs of Meningeal Worm. A bit of a head tilt, a slight tripping in the back toes, hesitant to get up from laying down.

I've never seen anything like that from breeding/urine scald.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Also look for lice. If you zoom in on the picture up on her back before the large spot it looks like the hair has been roughed up like she might be chewing/ itching herself. But not living in a area that I have to worry about MG my mind of course goes to lice, but that’s a easy one to check for

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.
Just to clarify (and reiterate):
The bald spots appeared suddenly around the time of mating.
The spots have not grown or multiplied except during second heat/mating cycle.
Bald spots surrounded by matted, sticky hair (easily rinsed out).
The spots are not painful or itchy. Doe does not bite or scratch them.
There are no visible parasites.
Only one doe has this issue.
Doe behaving normally.

Any further thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

It seems the spots are healing and there is no further spread. Goat seems to be doing fine and I notice no other detrimental effects. All indications, as I see them, are that the bald spots are from mating and an unusual sensitivity to excessive urine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts