BAMBOO QUESTION

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by speedy94c, Jul 15, 2010.

1. speedy94c

speedy94c New Member

May 31, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    IF YOU WERE GOING TO PLANT BAMBOO FOR YOUR GOATS WHAT KIND WOULD YOU PLANT OR IS BAMBOO NOT A GOOD IDEA?

THANKS STEVE :eek:hlala:

2. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    When i saw your post, i thought you were talking about this

[​IMG]

And thought, who the heck would want to plant that? I have been trying to get rid of it for 6 years! (actually 18 years if you want to count my previous house too) Luckily the goats love it - i don't know if it is good or bad for them, so i feed them limited amounts at one time, but they grab it voraciously whenever they get the chance.

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    I don't know what kind ours is because it was on the property when we bought it. We really love it, though. The goats love to eat it, and then we use the stalks for trellises in the garden. The stalks grow to about 20 feet tall and they aren't more than an inch/inch and a half in diameter. Just make sure you can contain it (and that it's allowed in your area - check with your local county extension agent). Ours grows between a creek and a road, so it's contained on two sides.

4. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I've been researching bamboo and decided to go with Black since it's desert hardy and was available here locally. You can learn bamboo basics from the websites of some online suppliers. Here's one that I gleaned a lot of information from in getting started:

http://www.lewisbamboo.com/information.html

I planted our first 3 plants this morning right outside the goat yard - tempting as the plants are already about 7' tall. The goaties were going nuts trying to climb over the fence to reach the branches and leaves. <lol> I snapped off a couple branches and they gobbled them right down and wanted more.

Deb Mc