Banamine for painful hoof?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi group. One of my goats has some hoof rot and a crack on the inside of her front foot. She's limping and I feel really bad. Im treating it with Hoof n Heal and trimmed the hoof (the girl who trims my goats hasn't been available so I'm on my own). Can I give her a shot to ease the pain or just leave her be?

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes, 1mL per 100 lbs. A vet says orally is effective. I usually inject it subq.

Copper bolus her too, it helps prevent hoof issues .

3. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
  4. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I give banamine orally for stuff like this. It seems to work just as well and I haven't had too many who objected to the taste, especially if I offer treats right after. You don't want to give it more than 3 days in a row because it may upset the rumen.

goatblessings and Darby77 like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    For sure do the banamine. Walking on the foot, increasing circulation, is all good for hoof rot. So anything that might lessen her pain and get her moving more should be helpful.

Darby77 likes this.
  7. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    How long does it take for the hoof to stop being sore? I feel so bad for her.

8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    It depends on how deep the hoof rot goes. Cracks usually feel better after growing down for just a few days, but hoof rot can go quite deep and affect the inner tissues. If you can take her and the herd for a couple of walks every day that will help. Getting her on dry, hard ground will help the most. Can you pen her in a gravelly area?

9. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Their paddock is frozen solid at the moment, so very hard and dry. She walks around some, bit is laying down more I think because it hurts.

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Is it hoof rot actually in the hoof or does she also maybe have hoof scald in the skin between the toes? Scald is super painful but quickly eliminated with topical application of LA 200. Sometimes they can get hoof rot and scald at the same time (different bacterias) so just wanted to throw it out there!

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    The bottom of her foot looked black at the wall of one toe and there is a crack going up the inside all the way.

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Here's what we started to do for hoof rot and it really has helped. We have a doe that struggled all year with hoof issue in one foot, and this is what finally worked.

Dr. Naylor's Hoof & Heel. Cut a plastic water bottle in 1/2, put enough of the Hoof & Heel in the bottom of the water bottle to cover part of the hoof. put hoof inside and duct tape it to their foot and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes - make sure you clean any yuck out of the foot first.
    We're dealing with extremely wet ground - wettest year on record. We've had 3 does limp this week, including the one I mentioned above, and that is what has been helping. Make sure you trim away any excess hoof/hoof wall to expose the black spots & holes to air.

We do this treatment daily until we see improvement, then we go to every 2-3 days, once a week until healed up.

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi all. My doe is still lame. I tried to get good pics. It feels warm right above the hoof but doesnt feel swollen. The other foot is cold.

14. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Here are some pics 20181218_170317.jpeg 20181218_170253.jpeg 20181218_170242.jpeg 20181218_170310.jpeg 20181218_170049.jpeg