Banamine?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    How long does an injection last? 8, 10,12 hrs? Vet gave my little guy an injection after his surgery today....wondering if I should give baby aspirin tonight for pain?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ive been told not to give another banamine injection for 12 hours.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, every 12 hours. I gave it a few hours sooner once because I gave a low dose and the goats temp was climbing quick again.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So do you think I could safely give him a baby aspirin tonight around 10:00pm?....just don't want him hurting over night.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would give more banamine. Aspirin is going to thin his blood which wouldn't be a good idea. Banamine also thins the blood a bit, but from what i've read it isn't as bad as aspirin.

I may also be a bit biased since I'm allergic to aspirin and stay away from it. lol

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

wow allergic to aspirin? Thats scarey!

I would go with the banamine too- I think it will work quicker and hopefully better than the aspirin would

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Not an anaphlactic(sp) reaction, but it's not great. :sick:

The banamine can also be dosed more accurately. :thumb:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont think she has banamine but the vet said to give childrens asprin (I got that from her other thread).

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes Stacey....you would be correct....he gave him an injection at the office and then said to start with baby aspirin tomorrow, but I was just thinking if the banamine last for 12hrs then it would be worn off by tonight and then he might have pain during the night...... I went a head and gave him an aspirin tonight......I hope there will not be any problems.