Banana Copper Bolus

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm, Jan 2, 2020.

1. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Of 17 goats, 4 took the banana test slices and the copper filled banana bolus without a problem. 5 more said NO THANKS to the test slice but when caught did take the bolus without too much of a fuss. The other 6 said UHHHHH NOPE NOT TODAY, Heifer! Those 6 are received their banana bolus with a fight and a bunch of, "You are taking this" conversation. In 6 months when we do this again we will have several methods including honey balls, peanut butter balls, sandwich creme cookies and, of course, bananas. Any other ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we are currently covered in mud and grumpy.

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Buy a bolus gun and just do it. :). Says the person to cheep to do just this and puts em on the milk stand, shoves pill in, holds mouth, fusses that you are gettin it whether you swallow or chew i do not care. Then gives cookies for a job well done. Lol!

3. DaGoatandPugLady

DaGoatandPugLady Active Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Fort Worth, TX
    Mine wouldn't do it with a banana slice.

I do mine in a banana peel - I put molasses inside and sprinkle the capsule contents on the inside. I have one who will eat it like this happily. The other one, I will have to dip into molasses and sprinkle outside with kelp. And he will eat it this way :)

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I use fig newtons.cut cookie in half, Empty the capsule smush back together and down the hatch they go. 15 goats in under 5 minutes...easy Peasy :)

5. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Oh!!! Thatvis awesome! I am going to add fig newton's to my list! Thanks!

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  6. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Cut it so it's like a sandwich and use the fig to hold the rods.
    Feed them as treats once and a while so they look forward to a plain fig newton then slip in the copper one and the next time a plain on so they never know when the coppers coming.

7. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Wish mine like figgy newtons. I almost always have them here cause i love them.

8. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    They don't last long around here either. Lol

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Marshmallows...mine love them. They just gobble them up...

10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey Sfgwife..Dont forget....
    Dont eat the newtons with the bolus...not for humans...ooooops..lol lol (embarrassed)(rofl)(rofl)

11. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Tapioca pudding. They lick it out of the little cup without chewing at all.
    I was replacing one of the nuts in a peanut with the bolus but, they're all on to that trick now.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes mine did not fall for the "whole roasted salted peanuts in shell" trick for very long either :(

13. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    pick a treat they like and give it frequently even daily until they all just LOVE the treat, then just add whatever you need to give them and usually they don't notice. I have one girl that is a little more discerning but if I don't get to outrageous with the stuffing she gobbles them up. We have used sandwich cookies as an easy treat that you can replace the filling with pretty easy.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  14. Amber89

Amber89 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I have struggled finding what will work for me and at last I found it!! Just sliced bread I pour the stuff in it and mash it real good the gobble it up

15. Mike at Capra Vista

Mike at Capra Vista Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Vancouver Island
    My math is not what it used to be but 4 + 5 + 6 = 15 :)
    Either you have less goats than you think or 2 got away without having to take the copper. :)
    (or I cannot read...)

healthyishappy likes this.
  16. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Lol....I didn't add that the 2 kids were force fed the banana bolus and were NOT happy about it....Thank Goodness that is only once a year!!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  17. healthyishappy

healthyishappy Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Utah
    OH man! If only my mom would give me that i'd take all the pills she wanted me too!