The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 does about 2 months ago . One still had 1 horn and the other had pretty big scurs ,so the lady I got them from put bands on prior to me picking them up and told me to leave the old bands on but to put new ones on every 30 day and I did. But now its been another 30 days and time to put more on but with there already being 4 bands on each horn/scur its a little difficult to put the new ones on and get them to stay in place so what I want to know is can I remove the old bands and put the new ones on or just keep piling them on?

·
Super Moderator
59,315 Posts
When I banded my adult doe, I had to remove the old bands. Her horns were too big to get the new bands over the old ones. So every month I removed the old bands and put new ones on. It is fine to remove the old bands.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
It doesnt look like their horns would even come off they way those bands are put on. The band's are supposed to be a 1/4 inch below the horn ridge, normally they make an incision and place the band's in the cut so they stay there.

Like this http://www.barnonemeatgoats.com/bandinghorns.html

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I know. But that is how they came to me. I just keep putting new bands on every 30 days. I can't tell that the bands are doing anything on Marmi the one with the big horn. But it is working on Sophia the one with scurs. One fell off and the other is wobbly and barely hanging on. I've never banded any of my goats so I don't really know that much about how to do it but if you think I should try to redo it correctly ill have a go at it :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marmi doesn't act like it hurts at all but Sophia does when I touch her scur or wiggle it which I only do when I replace the bands.

·
2,962 Posts
That is the site I will refer to when I do my boys, Karen. The only thing I would change is not scoring the horn all the way around. I had a buckling get his horn shell knocked off when fighting and it wasn't even scored. It did heal though. And grew back over like a nail grows back....lol... Erica, I have a young doeling that has a tiny scur and she hates for me to touch it. Some are more sensitive than others.

·
Super Moderator
59,315 Posts
Depending on how thick it is, that may not matter. My doe's horn was so thick that I did need to score all the way around the horn. It did also give a ridge for the bands to stay in place and I never had to tape them or anything. They always stayed right in place.

I did end up selling her but at the point before selling her, they had not grown back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts