Banded horn experience

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by rebelshope, May 6, 2009.

1. Yes, I have banded. It worked great

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I have banded. It didn't work well.

83.3%
  3. No I have not banded horns.

16.7%
  1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    So much talk has been done about banding horns lately. I was just wondering who had done it and if you had good success. Pictures of before and after would be great if you have them.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Banned horn experience

I banded the horns on a 6 year old nigi doe for my mom in February....reason was that this little doe was really being nasty to her hornless but alot bigger toggs.
    Got them on and within a week you could see them working....by the 3rd week one had come off and we think that she knocked it off while in the hay rack, 2nd one came off 2 weeks later when she was playing with another goat...buttin' heads...she did bleed with the first one but not with the 2nd. She now looks s though she never had them.
    One thing though, she was pretty miserable and stayed by herself for fear of getting her head bumped so it did hurt her.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Banned horn experience

I'm in the process of banding dawns horns...3 weeks, and nothing happened, but she does have a bit of blood, and a 'niche' in the place of the bands. should I put another band on?

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I've never done it before but I've read that some people use a dremel tool to make a notch in the horn where you put the band to keep it in place. I've also heard that you need to use more then one band and you need to change them. Email or PM Kate(Helmstead) she's done it and I've seen pictures of the goats she's done it to. She's much braver then I.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yes, I would replace the band. I replace mine once a week so that it works faster. The bands loose their elacisity.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
  7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I just did this on a 10 week old buckling that we burned twice and the suckers STILL grew
    He screamed bloody murder- and was pretty unhappy with it for a little while, but I have to tell you, they shriveled up literally overnight, the first one fell off in about 2 days and the second one fell off a few days after that. They didnt bleed hardly at all and they are both gone now and look great! I think they worked so quickly since the horns were fairly soft

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, you've convinced me, I need to band a couple of goats with scurs, and a little doeling that we must have been too wimpy when we disbudded her. I'm getting better though, next time will be easier. So, I'll do it this weekend and let you know how I did.

9. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I'm thinking I need to do this too. I would like to show Magellan... his mom, Panama, has a fantastic udder and he has great legs and is very uphill. Not to mention the fact that I simply think he's gorgeous.. haha! BUTTTTTTTTT he has little horns--disbudding didn't take. :( So, I'm going to try this, I do believe.

Angie

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    dawns (the nigi) horns fell off while I was on vacation, worked very well, and she looks alot better. :thumb:

11. LaZyAcres

LaZyAcres Junior Member

Aug 25, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    I have two does that are just over a year old. The disbudding didn't take, one has little nubs (about an inch) but the other's are about 4-5 inches long. I'd like to band them - this forum make it sound pretty simple. So it sounds like a need a bander and 3 bands per horn, replaced weekly if the stretch and it should take a few weeks? Is that right? Any other suggestions?

THANKS!!

12. To those who have done it... do you think there could be a issue with flies? Would it be better to do in Fall or Winter?

13. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    When we got our wether's 2 year's ago it was in the fall ... no issue's with flies. A friend of mine just banded a bunch of her's and horn's are starting to fall off and no fly issue yet!

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely should not be done during the warm months....insects can be a problem then you'd be dealing with maggots.

15. Thanks Liz thats what I thought. I do have a year old girl that has hers and I can't decide what to do yet. Now I wont have to decide until late Fall. :thumbup:

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Besides being miserable during the process...can you imagine just how it would feel if the bugs were bothering the wounds and the goat had to deal with buzzing insects on the area as well? The fact that they would instinctively bring up a hoof to scratch or rub against something to ward off the bugs, they could end up with further injury and pain by inadvertently knocking off one thats not ready.

17. Yea that sounds like it would be horrible!

18. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    We just banded a little buckling a few days ago. Hope it works right. I haven't noticed fly's being an issue yet, but I'm keeping an eye on him so I can put something on him to ward off the fly's if they do become a problem. I'm glad I didn't wait with him thought, his horns were growing fast and he was a handfull to hold.

We gave CD&T shots to the ones we banded. I banded my unicorn (Vet disbudded and she has one horn), the little almost 3 month old buckling, and several weeks before that we banded The 3 year old bucks scurs. I don't think it's going to work on the big buck despite using a couple bands. Because of the nature of his scurs, twisty misshapen I can't get them down as low as I would like the bands. He's difficult to do too, because he doesn't like his horns messed with so changing the bands every week just aint gonna happen with him. The horns have grown up and the bands once again are not going to work.

19. This is the correct way to do this. http://www.barnonemeatgoats.com/bandinghorns.html

I would not reccomend it though. Please look at some of the goats that have been posted on this forum and the bloody mess the owners got. It is not always a walk in the park and though you can band your finger or hand and it too will fall off, much like banning an older goats horns it is long and painful. I would talk to my vet on an older goat for the most humain options or find another goat all together. If a breeder does not want horns it is my advise to buy them young and disbud, polled, or look to other options all together. The risk in infection is also high for these goats. Again this is just an opinion but one I am very firm on.

20. The truth is, in my opinion, if a goat has horns as an adult there is not good way to disbud, you just don't. If it is not done early on it is something that should never be done. Just my thoughts.