Banded my first!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Perfect7, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    And it was pretty painless, at least for me. The little guy didn't even seem to notice I had done a thing to him, not a movement or a sound. About thirty minutes later, though, he was acting like he wanted to die on me. He was laying down refusing to move and crying. I was out sitting on the porch with him wrapped up in a blanket, poor littlet guy. One baby aspirin later and he was doing okay.
    I'm glad we decided to whether him, though at one point we had debated to keep him a buck to get our herd growing. On top of the polled issue, and we decided we didn't want to have any polled being newbies to goats, he also had a split scrotum that I didn't even notice until tonight. He's also a very feminine looking buck for a boer, not what I would want to start our herd with.
    I'm just so proud of myself for banding my first one! (I realized afterwards I had been holding my breath waiting for him to scream). He will be a very nice pet and company for the full blood baby boer buck I'm getting for my birthday this weekend!
    :cool: I did it!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congrats!

Yes, they do very well with the initial application, more PO'd about being held I think and then BAM 20 minutes later they're walking funny and crying! I am a nervous wreck waiting to see them pee cause I'm always afraid I got the utrethra in the band!

3. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I'm glad all went well fro you! We did our first two last week.

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Oh, thanks Liz! Now I have to go outside and wait for him to pee because I'm worried I got the urethra! :p
    I thought I was being slick....not so high it touches the abdomen, no pinched hair, no pinched teets, both testes down in the scrotum below the band, iodine, blue coat spray.....now the URETHRA! :ROFL:

5. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Congrats :thumb: on the completed task-definitely a thought invoking process for us and ouchie for them.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The 1st is always the hardest....I am glad it went well .... great job.. :wink: :thumb:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL...The boys always seem to be so pathetic with their drama! Their mom's go through the pain of giving them life, you'd think they could tolerate a little discomfort during constriction....as far as them peeing afterwards, the boy's I've banded ( theres been 19 so far) seem to go within 20 minutes of the banding, some, like Uno seem to wait an eternity to go!