Banding a Buck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by turtlebutte goats, Apr 4, 2010.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I am thinking of banding one of our bucks today. He is about 4 years old. Anything special I have to be concerned with banding a buck this old? He can be quite aggressive when you are working on him and I have a milk stand I can put him in to take care of this. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

I don't think banding a buck should be our option at 4 years old.. No offesnse. I believe you should only band a buck at 12 weeks and younger.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

3. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    I would not do a buck that old. I was told by an older hand that has had goats for a long time that if it is not done right it can tear the abdominal wa. I talked to him last week when a friend of my wife was thinking about doing it to one of her bucks. He recommended a vet

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I banded my 2 year old buck 6 weeks ago, took care that he was UTD with CD/T and I sprayed the area generously with iodine as well. The dried, shriveled sac fell off Friday, I blu koted the area afterwards too....doesn't look bad at all.

This was my nigi buck, my hubby held him on his side and held his rear leg while I maneuvered the band. The little donot bands work IF the testes are soft enough with enough room in the sac to pop one then the other through.

5. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I'm of no use in the advice area, but I do have a question- are you banding him because he is aggressive?

Because in an animal that old, his testosterone levels are already established, as are his undesirable habits. Banding him won't fix his behavioral issues- at least not completely. And then you just have a mean wether who obviously can't be used for breeding AND isn't a pet... I'm just not sure what the point would be...

6. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

I do agree with you, but a teaser wether perhaps?

7. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    That buck I was talking about in my responce will now be part of our herd. Mellee freind just called and said she doesnt want any more kids so if we wanted him we could have hime.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Actually the recommended age for wethering to prevent urinary calculi as an adult is no earlier than 6 months of age.... this is vet recommended. Most breeders don't wait that long for obvious reasons (who wants that many stinky bucklings around) but I try not to wether any earlier than 12 weeks whenever possible... unless of course a kid is going for meat.... if thats the case you don't have to worry about how young you band because you're not worrying about the animal having a long, healthy life... I'd see no problem with banding a buck that old.... you'd just have to give some pain meds and make sure they stay on feed. :) Although I must say.... I don't think I'd want to be the person trying to hold an aggressive 4 year old buck down to be banded! :ROFL: :slapfloor:

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Teddy was banded due to the fact that he became much too nasty during rut...and he grew to be taller than I wanted as well as me not wanting to chance him passing on his 3rd teat..even though his kids are pets only, I prefer to not have that go with them. He's as sweet as ever when not in rut so neutering to correct agressiveness in this case was for the better because as a wether he won't go into rut.

10. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I am wanting to band my buck as I have another I will be using for the next couple of years. This was our first buck and is such a nice buck. He only gets aggressive around other goats, not people at all. We don't even keep him in a pen at all, he has free access to the entire ranch (240 acres). He doesnt wander more than 100 yards from the barn. We are currently adopting a sibling group of three and I would rather keep the buck and whether him for safety purposes than sell him at this point.

11. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I had my vet band my older buck....and as with our little bucklings we used lidocaine to numb the area before the banding. With the little ones we inject in three spots before banding and give it time to work. Good luck.