The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Amy I just got a 8 week old male pygmy goat his name is Sheldon. I had him banded with a sheep size band and his testicles still feel warm. I am wondering if he is too small for the banding to work. Will he grow into the band and then they will shrivel up. Also I need to get a friend for him. He is so needy and has to be with me all the time or he cries. Is it better to get another male and have him banded as well or a female. I have read that a female may go into heat and cry for two days straight is this true. Will two boys even though they are fixed act dominant and head butt each other

Thanks Amy

·
14,615 Posts
How long ago was he banded?
Two wethers would be great, they will still "fight" & play.
Not all does in heat scream for two days straight. Some are pretty quiet.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The standard bands here for castration are the little green latex ones...used for many species too from calves to lambs, even used to dock tails.
As far as a companion, another wether would be better and less expensive than a doeling if they are to be pets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was banded five days ago he had no reaction at all to it. Its a orange band used for sheep

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Not to "butt in", but I have a question: How long so those little green bands last? will they deteriorate over time? We got an elastrator, maybe a two years ago, because we were expecting a lot of kids, but it turned out that we got enough girls out of the crop that we were able to sell the boys as there weren't too many, so we never used it. I may need to use it in a couple months to a year, do think the bands are still good?
BTW They've been indoors the whole time.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
We keep our bands in a sealed bag in the fridge and they are four years old now. They work fine. But new ones are cheap.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts