Banding buck kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nubiansrus, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Ive hear different answers to this but thought Id ask what you all think. When is the best time to band wether kids? Ive hear at a few days, and Ive heard a few weeks. Thanks in advance for opinions.

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've had them done at a few days and I've done them myself at several weeks. I prefer the latter because they may not have dropped if you do them early and therefore your setting him up to have either problems or still be fertile and bucky.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wait till they drop. Any time after that they can be banded. I heard that you shoudl wait so that the urethra can develope...but also that once banded it strinks back down again :shrug: I personally have had boys done at 3 days and at 8 weeks

4. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Ok.

Had someone reserve a buckling and she was bothered it wasnt done yet. Hes only a little over a week old. I told her I thought it was better to give him a few more weeks. Just wante to make sure i was right. So how many weeks when you say several?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well my boys were born around the 7th of January and they are all going to be banded tonight if I can get it done. I wait to make sure the testicles have dropped. I bought a weher (first goat we bought), and he was banded at like a week old. Well at several months old we found a testicle, so it had to be surgically removed. So we wait, plus I want to see if anyone wants to purchase them as bucks.

Stacey, I had never heard that the Urethra shrinks back. that is very interesting.

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've done them between 6 and 12 weeks. Older is harder it seems on the buckling but there's no guessing if you get it in the band then. :p This year I'm going to play it by ear and band the ones prereserved as wethers around 6 weeks so they can have a couple weeks here with mom and recooperating before leaving. Then the ones who are going to be offered up as bucks first will stay probably till closer around 10-12 weeks. Reason for that is weaning at 8 weeks can be stressful enough so I don't band at the same time. Then once they're over the weaning bit they get banded.

7. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    I band my presold wethers in the later part of their 7th week to give them time with mom and time for me to make sure all went well. I band all my bucklings by 8 weeks to prevent accidents.

I would say the shrinking urethra is an old wives tale that people use to justify doing it so early.

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I will be banding all of my male lambs and Demi's male kids in their first week, once they've dropped. I believe that after that age it is cruel to the animal. That's my personal opinion though.