The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a buckling that's about 6 weeks old, growing fast and is thriving well. We have someone coming to get him at the end of the month but wanted him banded. We went ahead and did the job today, but being our first time, I'm very paranoid about it, and I'm worried we might have banded a bit too low? We were worried about doing it so high up, but we feel confident we got his nuggets underneath the band. I would love to hear your thoughts and advice if possible. I didn't want to band him so early, but I'd rather have him in our care and make sure all is well before he leaves to his new home. Here are a couple pics.
Eyebrow Jaw Beard Black-and-white Style

Plant Human body Branch Tree Black-and-white

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
Have a buckling that's about 6 weeks old, growing fast and is thriving well. We have someone coming to get him at the end of the month but wanted him banded. We went ahead and did the job today, but being our first time, I'm very paranoid about it, and I'm worried we might have banded a bit too low? We were worried about doing it so high up, but we feel confident we got his nuggets underneath the band. I would love to hear your thoughts and advice if possible. I didn't want to band him so early, but I'd rather have him in our care and make sure all is well before he leaves to his new home. Here are a couple pics.
View attachment 188231
View attachment 188233
It looks pretty normal. We do try to get them a bit higher but you cannot take that band off now. He might just have what looks like a lil fat roll back there now. Were you sure to not get teats in the band. And in the future he can go to a new home freshly banded. The new owners can just watch it like you will. If he has not had his cdt shots he needs an antitoxin shot though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks pretty normal. We do try to get them a bit higher but you cannot take that band off now. He might just have what looks like a lil fat roll back there now. Were you sure to not get teats in the band. And in the future he can go to a new home freshly banded. The new owners can just watch it like you will. If he has not had his cdt shots he needs an antitoxin shot though.
Thank you so much for your feedback! And yes, we made sure his teats were out of the way.
Can you please help explain a bit about the antitoxin shot? We were going to be giving him his CD&T shortly, but what's the difference? Also, do they carry it at feed stores? Do I still need to give him the CD&T? I wasnt fully aware of the antitoxin part.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks fine but in the future would put the band a little higher.
Thank you so much for your advice! We had briefly spoken to our neighbors who bands his little bulls all the time, and mentioned to keep a little extra skin if you can when banding, hence why we were afraid to go do high up. But after watching so many videos, I felt like maybe we still had the band too low. I just hope all goes well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he hasn't had CD&T shot and booster, he isn't protected against tetanus.

Tetanus Antitoxin gives them instant, but short protection. To prevent tetanus from happening.
Good info!
I'm going to the store now, tractor supply has the antitoxin in stock. The little guy will be leaving the farm soon, would I still need to give him the regular CD&T anytime?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,492 Posts
You need the tetanus antitoxin, CDT vaccine won't provide immedaite protection.

I'd vaccinate with CDT and booster 30 days later when he's 8 weeks.

He's really young to be castrated, he will need a very carefully watched and balanced diet. UC is a big concern.

For the future, never castrate sooner than 12 weeks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello!

Just a bit of an update. He is acting very lively, running around, eat and acting normal.

I took a picture of how its looking.
I'm wondering, is it beneficial or necessary for any aftercare? (As in applying iodine etc).

Here is how it looks.
And the sac itself is looking flat! Is everything looking okay?
Nose Jaw Whiskers Eyelash Fawn
Nose Skin Hand Eye Eyelash

·
Registered
709 Posts
Looks good! I like to spray a little blue kote on the raw spots, but I think they'd heal just fine even if I didn't. Your guy looks like his wound is clean so you're probably in good shape.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good! I like to spray a little blue kote on the raw spots, but I think they'd heal just fine even if I didn't. Your guy looks like his wound is clean so you're probably in good shape.
Awesome, I'm happy hearing this. I don't have any blu-kote on hand. Would a dab of Iodine be okay?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,492 Posts
Dilute some iodine with water to reach a light tea color and spray it on.

I never recommend BluKote for banding sites. The bright color can block signs of infection.

Neosporin works well too.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I spray with iodine or chlorohexidine before I band and let dry a bit before applying the band, then spray with blukote after. I spray with the blukote every 2 or 3 days until the sack is gone and the site healed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts