banding bucklings

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Jan 28, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    So I went to tractor supply yesterday and bought a bander and some bands. I have 3 pygmy bucklings that need the treatment. Is it as simple as it sounds? Slip the bands over the testicles and let it go?

Thanks

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep....it's easier if you have someone to hold them, my hubby gets that job!

Did you get the bander with the blue handles?
    Make sure you go over the sack with the prongs pointing toward the kids belly, pull both testicles into the sac and hold them while you release the band, making sure you don't get the teats in it.

My hubby holds them on his lap, on their rumps while holding all 4 legs...it's a tad easier this way.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, it's pretty easy, sometimes it doesn't want to come off the little "prongs" so you have to push the bands with a little force, try your best to slip it on instead of snapping it on, but yeah, it's pretty simple.

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yep just make sure you've got both testicles under the band. And it's a good idea to vaccinate for tetanus.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YEP, I also make sure I do not get any extra hair or the belly. Make sure the band is high enough. I should be right at the top of the testicles.

YES make sure you get both of them also. I always have a pair of scissors in case I have to cut the band and do it again.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    When I do it, I have hubby sit down, put the kid in his lap and stand him up on his back legs. It stretches the skin a little on the belly and makes it easier not to get the teats in the band! (just my way though)

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I forgot to add -

Sometimes they walk around real funny afterwards - kicking out a back leg or jumping and kicking both legs out - that is normal!!

8. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Is a tetanus vaccination something I can do myself? Is it available through a farm supply outfit? Where can I find info on procedure and dosage?

Thanks again

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I believe for that little of one - you can give 1 cc and yes you should be able to get it at the farm store. I do believe that is where I got mine.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tractor supply has it in the med fridge...it is Tetanus anti toxin and 1 cc is all you'll need to give. Make sure to pick up yringes and needles too....they have the individual 3cc syringes and the needles come in a 6 pack...I use the 22 gauge by 1/2 inch. I think they have the blue caps on them, I also use the 20 gauge tha have the pink caps. I do believe the tetanus is given under the skin...subQ.

11. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    The antitoxin is not a vaccine. It gives immediate temporary protection and is what most people give when banding. You will have to vaccinate later if you plan on vaccinating.

Toxoid is the vaccine. It gives a longer protection but the goat needs to build up its immunity and have a booster for it to effective.

I don't use the antitoxin while banding and have never had a problem though. I just bluekote the area.

12. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Sorry to be dense. You bluekote the testicle area or where you give the shot? Where is the best place to give the shot?

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've always found that giving a sub q shot is best "under the scruff" over the base of the neck or over the shoulder. Pull up the hide and stick the needle into the space thats made between the skin and muscle.

I use gentle iodine as well as blukote on the testicles when i band, I haven't used the anti txin in years though because i do vaccinate with CD/T...they get it from mom while in utero and I start the shots when they are 3 weeks and booster at 7 weeks a few days before I band. Haven't had any issues as of yet with this.

14. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I bluekote the testicles.

I give subq shots behind the elbow. CDT especially tends to leave lumps and some people aren't knowledgeable enough to recognize a vaccination site vs a CL lump. The elbow will help rub out any lump left simply by the goat's natural movements.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If the buckling has big testicles for his age, around 3 months old, and you :greengrin: know he will be very uncomfortable , we use Banamine before the procedure.....helps with pain and swelling....
    we also give him CD& T .

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    i have only ever given the CD&T when I band and then booster 3 weeks later.

I have the other on hand - but have never used it yet.