banding castrating

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Graffogefarms, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    I think I messed up a little - . I banded the male kids this year, and so far, nobody has acted bucky - except one. I compared the others that I banded and they have no "lump" there, but his fellow does? I don't feel testicles - they are gone but is it possible for them to grow back a little? Now I am wondering would he be fertile. He is doing the herding thing, and all that. We just separated the bucks - they are all standing at the fence, not going into their shelter, staring at the females. Since he is a kid, basically harder to keep him separated - as he goes through the bars in the gate, and trots back in.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No... they cannot grow back... if you got both testies in the band......if you have your doubts however... I would recommend taking him to the vet...they may be able to ultra sound or do some tests... to see if his is capable... of doing the deed......If he isn't fertile.... he would be a great...teaser wether.... :wink: :greengrin:

3. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    hmm maybe just leave him be - as I don't feel any testes. He doesn't stink either like the full bucks. He is an absolutely gorgeous looking ba type, if you didn't know his mom was an old irish blue goat you would swear he was pure ba, like his dad. Except he has feathered hind legs.? - (like heavy draft horses do) Figuring harness as that is taking off like crazy for me at the moment.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As Pam said, if you are sure you got both testes in the band, and they have dropped off already, theres no chance they'll " grow" back.

Wethers have "gender confusion" sometimes....they're just not sure exactly how that are supposed to act. :wink:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree with the others. Now, if you catch him peeing on himself then you probably missed one. I have had "teaser" wethers who will mount does and do the whole noise thing with their tongue flapping and stuff like that...he might make a great teaser for your does! I would just keep mine in my doe pen and when the girls started coming into standing heat you would know which ones were ready to breed. It was very helpful!

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

When you miss a testical the band causes it to be held up in the body rather then dropping down. It feels like a small abnormal lump right where the testicals would be hanging down but rather its up in the body. The scrotal sac is gone leaving no where for the testical to go. If you are feeling the lump you described and he is acting bucky you may have missed one, i would have him looked at as the only way to remove it now would be a minor surgery. On bucks that you miss one they usualy act bucky but dont get the full on raging hormones, sometimes they pee on their faces and sometimes they dont. sometimes they will spit and blubber at does but then quite when she invites him to mount her. Others full on act like bucks and still others dont act bucky at all.
    beth

7. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    [​IMG]

Notice lump around nipple?

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmmmm.....have you felt the lump? Is it firm and elongated feeling? If it is then I would definately say that it is a teste. Surgical removal would be best, he will be infertile but he may exihibit the unpleasant bucky behavior as it is still producing testosterone.

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm not sure if this is possible, but did you band him just a day or two ago? I would think you might be able to cut the band and push the other testicle down into the sack and redo the banding. :shrug: If not, then you may have to get it surgically removed like liz said.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    From the looks of the area KW, he's been banded awhile ago as he's already lost them and it's healed over. I think that at this point surgery is the only option to get the teste out, or it can stay where it is and hopefully won't cause further issues with him.

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh ok...yeah, I see it was posted on the 16th. Yeah, it would be to late then. I would recommend having a vet take a look and get it surgically removed then if that is a teste there.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... a vet will have to take a look see....if you want it removed :hug: