The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We banded two of our bucklings a couple of weeks ago, and their testes have really shrunk up appropriately. I tried the search function, but i didn't have much luck. How long until we can safely place them in with the does? Do we need to wait until the sacks fall off or is there a general rule of thumb?

Thanks so much!

·
1,524 Posts
How old are the bucklings? I usually band before they start to extend (3 months or so), so they stay right in with their dam and the herd.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
How old are the bucklings? I usually band before they start to extend (3 months or so), so they stay right in with their dam and the herd.
Yeah, it depends a lot on age. In horses it is generally 30 days after castration that any sperm left in the "pipes" can be certain to have lost motility (at least that was what my vet said) so I have always used that as a rule of thumb under the assumption that sperm of different species is likely to follow a similar rule. But if they are under 3 months old I don't worry about it because they likely weren't terribly fertile yet anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One is just at 3 months old and the other is 2.5 months old. The castration on both is "taking" well, but we'd rather be safe than sorry, so we're keeping them separated for now due to our lack of knowledge!

·
14,615 Posts
If you want you can probably put them back if they are having seperation anxiety unless they are Nigies or Pygmies. I have had up to a 5mo Boer not banded still in with does & doelings but I dont recomend that at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts