The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The woman I sold my one of my wethers to contacted me today with a question regarding her wether's scrotum detaching, and I told her I would ask you guys since I don't have experience in the area. Here's what she said:
Quick question on the banding: Yuma still has it (barely, seems like it's hanging by a string) and he's really messing with it a lot, to the point where it's bleeding some and he won't let me get near it, really. He's acting normally, eating normally and all that but I'm wondering if that's normal, to see some bleeding and irritation?
I told her to put some antiseptic on it and check to make sure it doesn't look infected, which she did do. She will be talking to her vet tomorrow, but I still thought I'd run it by you. Do you have any advice for her? I'm assuming it's normal to see some bleeding as long as it's not profuse?

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
The vet or a brave soul, could remove it since it's just hanging. However I would allow the vet to take a look first..make sure very thing looks healthy. A bit of blood isn't uncommon as mentioned above..but it should not be dripping blood. Blu Kot or diluted iodine can help dry the area up and protect from infection

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good deal. And, it must be a bit of a relief knowing your goat went to a good home. They’ll reach out to you if they’re unsure and call a vet if needed. That has to be a nice feeling.
Yes, it is a good feeling. It's really great to know that she will get a vet out for even a situation that might not require one. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have called a vet. 😬

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is ok to call a vet out for your animals, never feel it is wrong. ;)
Oh I absolutely agree, I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just saying I tend to be less inclined to call out a vet unless it's a real emergency, because I really feel confident that I know when it's a problem I can handle or not. More power to those who will call a vet out for non emergencies, but my wallet just can't justify it unless it's truly necessary.😉

1 - 17 of 17 Posts