banding help needed

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dragonfly farms, Jul 9, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    We banded one of our 2 year old boys a while back. (I cannot remember off the top of my head!) And what is left is all dried up and pretty much hanging by a thread. We are wondering if the band is unable to get small enough to take care of the last little bit. It is in the center of the banding site coming thru the hole in the band. Should we try to clamp it and cut it or just wait some more?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It does take a while for all the tissue to die off.....if it is still live tissue and you cut it ...depending upon how thick the skin is... you may get alot of bleeding.... if you don't know the exactly banding date.. I would wait a while longer.....It should drop off by itself...... but... if you know for sure.... it is dried up.. dead skin and no live tissues are there ...it then...can be cut off..... then spray with blue spray... or something similar... :wink:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I banded Teddy in mid February...it took until the first week of April for them to come completely off.

4. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    George was banded May 30. There is for sure some live tissue still. I guess it really has not been as long as I think.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah.... give it time.... :wink: :greengrin:

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I think ours took 5-6 weeks to fall off. It looked like what you described, half hanging on there, for about 2-3 days and the poof! It was gone. The area still looked a little raw and was attracting gnats so I sprayed it with some blue spray.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely keep blu kote or similar wound kote on the area, Teddy hated me cause every 2 days I was grabbing a hind leg and making him purple, it helps the drying process as well as keeps the flies away. He had a raw spot the size of a nickle after they finally came off, I sprayed that too...must have burned cause he screamed and took off running kicking his hind legs at me, after about 5 minutes he was back looking for his cookie so I knew he was ok...The raw spot scabbed over and healed perfectly within a week.

8. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    well its official . . . george is a wether. I went up to feed last night and there they were, laying on the ground!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Eww...LOL :laugh: Congrats.... :wink: :thumb: :greengrin:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    See...didn't take too long at all, be sure to use gentled iodine or a wound kote on his boo boo to keep the flies off while he scabs over.