banding horns for disbudding

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mekasmom, May 20, 2009.

1. mekasmom

mekasmom New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    My 18yo daughter bought a fat little fainting goat that we took in for dehorning today. The vet had to band them rather than simply burn them due to the does age and size. I have never had horns removed on an older goat before, but this one butts and pokes with them, so they have to be removed if we keep her. She already left a big bruise on my daughter from her horns. She just isn't used to being handled. It's just too dangerous to keep her with those big horns.

Does anyone have any experience with horn removal using the bands? Does it work? How quickly? The vet wasn't sure it would work on a goat this old. She is about four with huge horns. They even tried to cut them with a wire, but the goat was too strong to hold even with 4 of us trying to hold her still, so as a last resort he banded them close to the head.

If the horns can't be removed, she will have to go to slaughter. It isn't worth the risk of someone getting hurt if she butts again. She is a stout little chubby thing, but isn't use to being handled or touched. I think her previous owners just left her in a pasture, but never handled her at all.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I personaly have not banded but I have owned a goat who was banded and it worked.

I know others have tried it on here with success so hopefullly they can give you timeline and such for how long

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I banded the horns on a 6 year old nigi doe my mom has, per Kelebeks instruction.....it took less than a month for the first to come off but we think she knocked ot off, and the 2nd came off 2 weeks later during play with another goat, yes it did hurt her and she really was careful with her head for quite awhile, but 3 months later, she is healed and back to herself.

4. mekasmom

mekasmom New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks. I know she is uncomfortable. You can actually approach her now without her snorting and stomping. I will feel safer for my kids when the horns fall off.

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin