The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read with interest a recent thread on banding horns ... to my surprise I gather that its intended, should all go well, that the horns won't grow back?

My buck was disbudded as a kid before I got him ... he has these flat scurs, that break off every time they get to be an inch or so long.

Bleeds a little but nothing massive ... not a big problem but I'd dearly love to get rid of them ... I don't disbud my kids and his scurs are a source of irritation to us both.

Would banding work on scurs ... to remove them so they don't come back?

If so how is it done ... a strong rubber band right ... would castration rings be appropriate or is that overkill?

It has to be right down next to the skull right? how do you keep it down there ... won't it slide up?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh-oh hes going to hate that ... his scurs wiggle and he doesn't much like them being handled! I'm pretty sure I can get a band on if it'll stay down ... his scurs are like big fingernails.

I'd wondered about lamb castration rings but I'm concerned they'd be too strong? Will an ordinary rubber band do? They're usually longer than that ... wrap it round multiple times?

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
I used the castrating rings that I use to band bucklings. I'm assuming you are talking about the same thing. Rubber bands won't be strong enough to really cut off the circulation.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yeah thats the one! Ok good so they are the right thing ... no problem I've stopped docking my lambs this year so I've got about fifty spare!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts