The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
I would recommend not.

We bought a goat that had a horn banded. It was so horrible!! You could tell she was in pain for weeks, she would hide from the other goats, wouldn't compete for feed, did not want to be touched. THen when the horn finally came off she bled all over, bawling wildly in pain. I took her to the vet to be sure it was ok. He said that it would probably grow back, and it is about an inch long already. It came off mid July. When it broke off the vet had me give her a gram of bute and I sprayed it with that yellow anitbiotic spray and gave her a shot of LA200, we gave her the bute for 3 days, it really helped her pain. It took her several more weeks to trust again. Now she is a sweet and loving goat, but she went through all that misery for nothing, and has an ugly scur.
(the people had done this before and it didn't work, so they used a dremmel to make a groove near the head so that the band would stay down. So where they had the band was very close to the head. THe doe is 2 years old.)
Maybe banding a kid would not be so bad, but I would recommend seeing a vet who has experience de-horning goats. And be sure you know what that involves before you do it. Good luck with it, frustrating I know. I just wish people would disbud all kids unless they know they will be keeping them, bucause you end up with people buying a goat with horns, then they want tho horns off, and it is never pretty. :(

· Registered
246 Posts
The vet disbudded our kids at less than one week of age, and gave them their cdt for$10 each. He did not sedate them. It was done very quickly and they hollered more from being held tightly than from the iron, you could hear the tone in their one little holler. I see no problem with disbudding if it is done right, and even when not done real well, it is still much preferable to the alternative. Glad those picts were posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.