Banding Horns

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by SkyesRanch, Jan 6, 2011.

1. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Okay guys I have a problem... :hair:

My grandmother is not happy with the pain that my doe goes through when I put the bands on her horns. She is very sensitive for animals. But, it MUST be done. Can I give her some kind of shot that would relieve the pain? She made me take the bands off until I can figure a way that she wouldn't be in so much pain. She was crazy, she would jump in the air and was screaming bloody murder. She is a yearling mini alpine and the horns aren't that big. She is the best looking mini alpine I have ever seen and the horns have got to go because she will be going to the show ring! :cool:

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    You could give her Banamine, it's and Rx. I've only had 1 doe act off for a day or so. They eventually get over the discomfort.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I've never had one act so upset after putting a band on, most of the time they barely notice.

But I agree with bheila. Try that, and within a couple days, she should be just fine with it.

Too bad you're not closer to my area, Texas A & M does really good dehornings.

4. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    How long has she had the bands on for? I have a buck that's had the bands on for 3 weeks now and has no idea they are even on him. I even duck taped them up really good. He didn't really seem too bothered by them when I first put them on either, but maybe if you haven't had the bands on very long she just doesn't like the feel of them rather than them actually cuasing a lot of pain. just a thought :chin: