The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a Nigerian doe and she has horns. I like them without horns so can I band the horns. And how do you do it? And how long does it take for the horns to fall off? Thanks (sorry for so many q's) :p

·
1,524 Posts
It can take months for the horns to fall off. Some goats react terribly to the banding, especially the older ones with big horns. It hurts. Horns don't die as quickly as testes do on older animals. Other goats don't seem to notice.

You have to be careful once the horns are close, but not ready to fall off. Hitting a horn against something solid will break it off and cause a big bleed.

The method I have seen done, and used once on a real bad scur was:

Scrub the top of the goats head, paying special attention to the base of the horns.

Spray or rub the area with alcohol

file a groove at the base of each horn, like right at, or a bit below, the skin. Slide the band over the horn tip and roll it down to the groove.

Make sure the band is sitting in the groove. I put another dose of alcohol on each band once in place. Let dry.

Tape it when it's where it should be. I used duct tape, others have used adhesive tape. Every so often I took the tape off and checked the site of the banding for infection. Cleaned it, disinfected it and taped it.

This doe I did it to had been herd queen. The banding hurt her so much, she was afraid to hit the horn on anything or another goat and became head shy to the extreme. The horn fell off 4 months later. Actually, it didn't fall off, she hit it on a wall. Bled for a bit but because of the cold, it clotted pretty quickly. She was never the same after that. Was forever head shy and afraid of hitting her head on anything solid.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I've had excellent results with removing them through banding, if you read through the thread linked up above you can see the details since I posted quite a bit in that thread.

The older doe I discuss in that thread (the one who took 3 months to shed her horns) is having some regrowth but it is very very slow and she has sweetened up nicely instead of being so bossy and mean to the other goats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts