The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two youngest Oberhaslis were banded on Oct 1st. They were five months old at the time. One poor guy developed an infection and his scrotum had to be removed. The other one is doing fine, but that hard, shrivered sac is still well attached. How long does it take to fall off?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine took quite awhile...weeks...I don't remember exactly. I kept a close eye on them, a few days after banding they were quite cold to the touch then became mushy then started to shrivel. Once they started to dry and shrivel up I flipped them over to investigate and saw that the only thing holding them on was the spermatic cord that was all dried up and tough.. I gave them a tug and they seemed firmly attached still so I just clipped them off with scissors....And all has been well since.

I did not try to pull them off as I did not want to cause injury. It was obvious that they were dried up and that the cord was dry as well; I had a vet look at them about 2 or 3 weeks prior and he did not feel comfortable snipping them off at that time as he said if there are still blood vessels alive in the cord that they could retract into the abdomen and bleed and not be able to stop the bleeding.

Hope that helps!!!!

·
Banned
849 Posts
My wether was banded a lot younger, but I remember the process taking weeks. The testicles were all shriveled up and I snipped them off with scissors like Ashley did. They had started to stink by that time and I was afraid of infection. I sprayed the area with a bit of Blu-Kote I think. There was never a problem and the little wound healed right up.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Banding after the 3 month mark get progressively less likely to work correctly. The problem is, the bands can not close enough to cut off circulation to everything in the sack. The bands are only engineered to apply so much force to a certain amount of area. To much "material" is usually present after the 3 month mark. Using the band after this point often times leaves the sperm cords intact and alive. This would also be why the other one got an infection. Id suggest having a vet come out and finish the job and apply an anti biotic spray until fully healed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It took one of my wethers over a month and the other almost two. It would have been even longer if he hadn't jumped up on the spool and slipped...and knocked it off. They were banded the same time @2.5 months. I imagine it could take longer for an older goat?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your ideas. If it hasn't fallen off by Thursday, Dec 6th--he's going to our friendly vets at WSU to have it removed. As of that date it will be over 2 months and its still about 50% connected.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As mentioned, you can just cut them off yourself and apply some blu-koat (you should already have some).

By this time, the south side of the band is dead and it has no feeling...IOW, they won't feel it when you do the proceedure.

I sorta disagree w/Dave. I've banded several full sized critters (both dogs and goats) and it worked just fine.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
The few times we have tried to band after 3 months old have turned out not so good. From infections to the sacks dangling from still live sperm cords. Not sure about elsewhere, but our vet only charges $50.00 to crush the cords. He puts em out and gives em a locale. They are a little sore for a couple of days but having seen just about every method, I like this one the most. Not to mention the boys can still lay claim to being boys as they still have their ever shrinking "coin purse" still intact :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hola desde URUGUAY!!! nosotros castramos a "Colorado" con bandas a los 40 dias de nacido. Acà es muy comùn para ovejas y se recomienda entre 30 y 45 dìas, nùnca màs viejo.Las bolas se le secaron como pasas de uva y se le calleron a las 4 semanas sin nosotros verlas.
Cuchillo y spray antibacterial!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.