The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - need some advice. I have 5 bucklings ranging from 3-5 months. We had them all banded last month by our vet. The bands are still on though all of their testicles appear to be flattened and hard. The issue is that on all but 1 - they have developed infections around the band. We noticed this on Wednesday and immediately went to work on them. They were all laying around and in seemingly very uncomfortable. After we determined one had a fever of 104.2 (but the thermometer was disabled by my dear husband who submerged it to clean it) so we gave them 2 cc penicillin, 2 cc LA 200 and put betadine all around the band area. That perked up all but one who is still lying around and when he does walk it's very tenderly. I'm wondering if I should give him some Banamine (which I have onhand) but I don't know the dosage or if I should give more penicillin. I hate to see any of them feeling bad. We just went through a terrible experience where one of our new mommies passed from (lab confirmed) Lysteriosis. I appreciate any advice.
Gina

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Hi Everyone - need some advice. I have 5 bucklings ranging from 3-5 months. We had them all banded last month by our vet. The bands are still on though all of their testicles appear to be flattened and hard. The issue is that on all but 1 - they have developed infections around the band. We noticed this on Wednesday and immediately went to work on them. They were all laying around and in seemingly very uncomfortable. After we determined one had a fever of 104.2 (but the thermometer was disabled by my dear husband who submerged it to clean it) so we gave them 2 cc penicillin, 2 cc LA 200 and put betadine all around the band area. That perked up all but one who is still lying around and when he does walk it's very tenderly. I'm wondering if I should give him some Banamine (which I have onhand) but I don't know the dosage or if I should give more penicillin. I hate to see any of them feeling bad. We just went through a terrible experience where one of our new mommies passed from (lab confirmed) Lysteriosis. I appreciate any advice.
Gina
Are you sure it is from the banding? Our weather has been really crazy and pneumonia has been in herds quite a bit on here. Is there a stink at the banding area? Pus? Or does it just look manky cause the beans are shriveled and starting to come off it tinny bits like a scab would?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes definitely was an infection - there was puss and it smelled. I think the betadine took care of that though. I asked my vet if I needed to do anything else after the initial penicillin and LA 200 but she only said to use a spray to keep the flies off :( What would a full course of antibiotics be? I don't think it's pneumonia because they don't have runny noses and they will eat. I'm going to put more betadine on them tonight again and attempt a temp check. Since I posted this 2 of them have dropped their packages which is a relief. If it won't hurt anything I think I'll give the puny one a small shot of Banamine too. His name is Sherman and he's super sensitive anyway. I think this is just making him feel so bad that he doesn't want to face the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts