Banding - my first time

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CodyAcres, Mar 31, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Uggghh, something happened and I wiped out my first post before getting to post it. So here goes again.

I am banding to bucklings today or tomorrow. One is a 5 week old Nubian, the other an 8 week old Boer. I have a few questions.

*Do I give CD&T shots or Tetanus?, or does it matter?
    They each had CD&T when they were disbudded.

*If CD&T, the dosage is 2cc per goat, correct?

*If Tetanus, what is the dosage?

*If Tetanus, is there just one kind/percentage to get? I have no idea what to get and some meds say different percentages, brand names, etc.

*At Tractor Supply, there is an assortment of syringes and needles. How do I know what to get? Sizes, etc?

*Do I use the same syringe/needle on both goats, or do I need to use a fresh one on each goat, like humans?

NOW for the banding part.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what to do. I'm just worried I won't do it right and will mess something up. I know I put the band on the banding gun thing, open it up and pull the testicles through it, making sure I get both testicles in it, then close it and remove the gun.

*How am I sure that I have both testicles in? I have felt around to see if I think I could figure it out, and I think I can, but I also feel the "tubes" leading up out of the testicles too.

*Do I place the band up next to the stomach, or should I place it about 1/2" down or something?

I'm really nervous and could use some great explanations and PICTURES of this being done if I'm lucky enough for someone to have pics of the procedure.

Thanks so much!!
    Jamie

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Jamie, I know how you feel. We all go thou this our first time or two, three and so on.

Ok for me as long as they have their CDT already they are fine. I do not give anything else EXCEPT i give Arnica Montana to them as a natural pain reliever. I do it for three days twice a day 4 pills dissolved in water that is in a syringe and I give it orally. Then i do it for a day or two after also.

As for the needle size, I use a 18 or 20 gauge needle and 1/2" long. NEVER use the same needle. It does dull after even one stick so it is more painful that way. I do use the same syringe as long as I do not get blood in the syringe when I pull it back before injecting the med.

As for the banding. Pull the two testicles in the bad and when you let go make sure you do NOT have a teat in there, not hair being pulled and no folds of skin. It is not just release the bad and it is done, you kind f have to work the bad off the prongs, but as I do that I hold the testicles down so they do not move up and get out of the band.
    Good luck.

3. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info. Where do you get Arnica Montana?

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I band my boys at around 7 weeks, and have my hubby hold them for me. If they've had the CD/T then don't worry about the tetanus.

I open up the band and pull both testicles through it, and snug up against the belly, making sure the teats are out of the way andthere is no hair being pulled, relaese the plier and roll the band off the prongs. I do apply gentled iodine to the area and they are let down to seek out mom.

The boys will at and walk oddly for the first 15-20 minutes and you will notice that they aren't as active for the rest of the day, but it is normal, the raisins will drop off within about 6 weeks,tho I've had some come off in 3 weeks.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I get it at a Health Food Store, Wild Oats has it if you have on of them. Now there are two different ones. I get the ones that dissolve instantly.

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    If you want you can cut them off a week or so after banding, after they feel cold and hard. That way it can heal faster rather than waiting for it to slough off.

7. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    I can definitely feel the decended testicles in the 8 week old, but not in the 5 week old. How long does it take for them to come down enough to where I can band them?

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats odd.....what breed are these boys?

My twin pygmy/nigi bucklings were born with the raisins in the sacs....at 5 weeks I would be worried about cryptochordism and they would need to be surgically removed.

9. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    The one that I can't feel the obvious little golf ball lumps in the sack is a Nubian. He's 5 weeks old.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They should be descended by now....have a feel around the area above the sac, between the teats, you may be able to feel them and may even be able to manipulate them downward