The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have twin ND bucklings born April 30th who need to be banded. They are harassing the does, literally taking flying leaps onto their backs, trying to mount them.

What banders do you use for ND's, and how long till they stop acting bucky, and how long till their stuff falls off?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I use the cheapo bander from TSC and the smallest green bands. IF left alone their sack will fall off in about 6 weeks. I like to snip the sacks off below the band, after about 2 weeks to reduce chances of gangrene infection.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if you snip them, it only takes 2 weeks? Do they feel anything? Then do you put anything on it?

This is our first year doing it, so sorry for all the Q's!

·
1,524 Posts
At 2 weeks the testes would be dead, so there should be no pain. You can always spray it with blu kote or something similar after snipping. I would during fly season just to protect them from the flies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After the ND get older, the regular and most used bander and rubbers won't fit over the scrotum. They are just too large.. But there is one bander that is larger, rather expensive, that I ordered to try out. (look it up on Google if need be).. Used it successfully and returned it for credit, since I seldom never needed it any more..

Apply the rubber band about 3/4 of an inch from the belly so that it won't cause a skin stretched place and leave a gaping hold when the nuts fall off. It will then have room to heal over nicely... I always do nothing after applying the rubber... Everything below the rubber becomes dead; is sealed off, dries up and will completely fall off in time; maybe 3 - 4 weeks...

The banding is so easy, simple, slick and bloodless.. The only thing I will ever use again, on any animal... Sam

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
the green bands - come in bags of 100

What i have found to keep infection away is to dip the bands in rubbing alcohol as well as dousing the area the band will be placed on the goat also with rubbing alcohol. I havent had any infections since.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered the cheap blue bander from Jeffers, along with a bag of bands and some wound kote. It's what came up when I searched blue kote. Figured if we aren't supposed to use it for this, it would be good to have around :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know. I figured it was similar :)

·
New To Social Networking Not So Much To Goats
278 Posts
We used the green bands for my Nigies when they were 7 to 8 weeks old and we rubbed iodine over the area to prevent infection before and after putting the bands on and reapplied the iodine every 3 days or so. Theirs fell off in 3 weeks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts