The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a new hoof trimmer recently. They said they could band Donkey's horns. He's a Nigerian dwarf whether, approx. a year old. He's the only one w/horns and can be quite the little turd to the girls. He was about six months when he was gifted to us, so we didn't have the chance to disbud him as a baby.
They said there would be a stench, as the horns basically rotted. What do ya'll think of this? Good idea/bad???
Tried pool noodles, didn't stay on and wasn't sure if glue would be a good idea.

·
I'm watching you
22,350 Posts
I've banded horns on older goats than Donkey. I don't remember much of a stink. I would suggest that you have him come out after fly season to avoid infestations. On a wether it should go well and he's young enough for sure.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
One of my friends bored a hole in the tips of the horns, put in a screw, and made a ball with Plastic Padding. Can that be an idea, to make whatever you want to put on stay?

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Have you tried nipping the tip and filing it down some? Banding is painful. For days, not minutes. If ripped off too soon can be very painful and cause lots of bleeding. If not done properly will still end up with horn regrowing, possibly miss shaped. A friends doe, although not miss shaped, grew back flat tipped. I understand your dilemma. A goat with horns know how to use those horns. We rehomed our pet pygmy to a friend who raised horned goats for this reason . To Me, I would not risk banding..but this is my opinion. I hope you read up and weigh the pros and cons before making the decision. Be informed. If you do move forward with it, as Jill said, wait for cooler months when flies are less a bother. Ask to see past jobs this person has done..referral may seem silly, but this is your little man after all...if you are going to band his horns, do all you can to make sure it's a successful job with least amount of discomfort. Best wishes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts